Clarity

• 1.  OBS structure

Posted Mar 10, 2017 12:11 PM

Can some one please suggest me how to move OBS structure from one environment to another in ca clarity PPM?

• 2.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 11, 2017 03:09 AM

Xml Open Gateway - i.e. XOG

XOG read out from one environment, XOG into another - "obs_read.xml" and "obs_write.xml" are the example files provided with the XOG install. This is all covered in the documentation/manuals.

• 3.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 13, 2017 01:47 PM

Thanks for the reply David.

Actually I know about XOG but XOG read and write is not working for OBS for some reason.

Can you please suggest me any other way?

• 4.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 13, 2017 03:49 PM

XOG is the way.

Perhaps you could solve your "for some reason" problem.

• 5.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 13, 2017 04:40 PM

There is a node limit which you may hit with OBS if you have more than 500 nodes.

If you hit that then the read result is blank.

In the early days you could append write obs.

• 6.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 13, 2017 04:50 PM

Hi Urmas,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you please elaborate "In the early days you could append write obs"?

• 7.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 14, 2017 02:32 AM

That goes back to Niku 6.

There, when you wrote OBS, your xml content was appended if there was and existing structure.

That is if you wanted to make any modification with XOG you had to delete the existing and write the complete new.

A feature of that was that when you removed the OBS associations to objects, deleted the existing structure and wrote back somewhat similar with units having the same ID's and associated the OBS again with objects the object instance associations to units were still there.

If I recall correctly the argument  complete="true" allows you to write a new OBS structure and delete the existing one.

I should assume (have not done that) if you have complete="false" the XML content will be appended.

• 8.  Re: OBS structure

Posted Mar 14, 2017 04:47 AM

OBS read struggles with a large amount of data. One could try to create the OBS write XML semi-manually ; read out a smaller OBS so you understand the structure and then create new XML to build the "real" structure (using SQL to get the data from the database) - a pain but should work.

Whether this worth doing depends on how complex your OBS is of course.

(Re "append" - we can certainly write parts of the OBS structure rather than the whole structure thru XOG, don't think we can read them though, but if you built your OBS originally in a DEV environment bit-by-bit you would/could have the relevant XML files saved already)