Release Automation

• 1.  How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 13, 2017 06:14 AM

Hi,

I want to schedule a build at a particular time in future in CARA studio or ROC.

Can you please suggest me there is any provision to do so.

Thanks !!

• 2.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 13, 2017 06:27 AM

If you create deployment and not execute all steps automatically (e.g run only the pre deployment step if exist) you will see on the right side option to schedule the rest of the execution (deployment/post deployment steps)

• 3.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 13, 2017 01:40 PM

Jacky's answer is spot-on, but I thought I would elaborate a bit.

Option 1: Via New Deployment Dialog

When you go to create a deployment from a Deployment Plan, you'l see that you have 2 choices:

New Deployment Dialog

Select that first one, as Jacky said, to run pre-deployment, but then wait. You'll now have the option to schedule available to you on the right pane:

Option 2: Via Deployment Pipeline Overview

View the pipeline:

You need to select the app, project and environments you are working with.

Assuming you manually deployed to one environment, you can then control how to promote to the next environment in the pipeline:

Using the Customize Promotion option let's you specify a schedule:

Option 3: Use CDE

If you have CDE, you can also use it to schedule the deployment.  One benefit of this approach is that the pre-deployment step does not occur immediately.  Rather, CDE triggers the deployment to begin via the REST API, so the pre-deployment and deployment steps happen at the scheduled time.

• 4.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 14, 2017 02:37 AM

Hey,

I think there is even an Option 4, although it kinda mixes up with Option 1.

Stefan showed me once the possibility to schedule a deployment without running the predeployment, it did set a flag somewhere in the template I think, but I can't find it anymore. With this you could create a deployment without running anything.

best regards

Michael

• 5.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 15, 2017 05:46 AM

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the solution !!
    Can we have periodic build like for every hour / week/ month it should get build ?

• 6.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 15, 2017 05:55 AM

Hi,

I don't think this is possible with CA Release Automation itself as you can only schedule a single deployment. I'm not sure if it is already avaible in CDE.

What do you try to accomplish? Just asking, because you're saying "build" and not deployment.

If you really talk about a build that produces the sources that you later on want to deploy, you might be able to use the CA Release Automation REST API to trigger a deployment after your build did run successfull and the build itself could then be scheduled.

best regards

Michael

• 7.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 22, 2017 06:27 AM

And how can  you schedule a deploy requiring a manual input from the user?

Is there a way to pass a predefined value?

• 8.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 07:12 AM

Hi,

You can check a parameter of type "Predefined options" with scope of user input which can be prompted to user via action "User input stop for manual operation" with this parameter showing predefined options to end user

You can also try using the action user input select from available options which doesn't need you to create a parameter holding value.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 9.  Re: How to schedule a build in ROC

Posted Mar 22, 2017 11:30 AM

Another way to pass parameters that are specific to a deployment is to use a manifest.  

1. Create a parameter of type "Release"
    2. Supply a Manifest fie.  This can be done in 2 ways:
      1. When you create the deployment plan:
      2. Prior to any deployment of an existing Deployment Plan:

The manifest looks like this:

You can see it is tied to the deployment plan.  In this example:

• DeployRBDistro is the step name in the deployment template
    • _08F_DEPLOY_RBDISTRO is the name of the deployment process where the application parmeters are defined
    • I'm supplying values for two application parameters: _PauseAfter_RBDistro and _PauseBefore_RBDistro

At deployment time the parameter values are set to the values specified in the manifest file. 

So now you can assign a manifest file to a deployment plan, then schedule the deployment.  If different values are needed for the next deployment, just assign a new manifest file and schedule that deployment.