DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Hints to create Experience Views

Posted Mar 15, 2017 01:58 PM

Hi all folks,

we start using the APM Team Center (with APM 10.5.1) and I don't know the best way to add some new Experience View boxes .

As long as I try to add an existing ressource/node to a new Experience box, everything works well.

But, for example, I try to map each defined Domains (from the domains.xml file) to an Experience box, I can't. My problem is, some Domain entries are not available in the  "agentDomain" list. Only the Domains with assigned agents are available.

This is my problem in general, I can define Experience boxes for resources only, as long this resources are available.

Any Idea or suggestion how to use the Experience View boxes in the right way.

Lutz

p.s.

Something like this

curl -s 0 -k -H 'Authorization:Bearer 66250135-d4c6-40f0-b5a4-2238b1912f9f' \

'http://theemhost.local:8081/apm/appmap/theresourceorobject' | jq '.[]'

works well to get some information from the Team Center, but how to put/create/update attributes or how to create an Experience View box.

• 2.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2017 02:08 PM

Dear Lutz:

This is a good discussion topic and I have posted it internally on the APM Team Center board requesting people to respond. No guarantee that this will happen. But doing what I can to make people aware of your query.

Thanks

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Posted Mar 17, 2017 06:32 PM

Hi Lutz - hope you are doing well! And great to see you are playing with 10.5.1 already

So, the first thing to think about is that Experience Cards are only based on the nodes in the map that represent the entry-points of the application - think of it as the end user. We like to refer to them as the "left-most-components", and it will be a node of type BUSINESSTRANSACTION or APPLICATION_ENTRYPOINT.

Second, you will only have attributes assigned to the above node types available to define your Experience Card.

And third, if you want to use a filter to limit your Experience Card to a certain set of experiences (for example from a specific domain), you will only have the available attribute values to filter on. At least currently, there is no way of using a regular expression (like in the attribute rules) to have Experience Cards being created based on a rule.

One idea would be to just create a Card based on agentDomain - no filters. This Card would contain all the domains in the universe, and also pick up new domain-values as they are added to the system. With only one click - you'll have the Experience Cards for each domain.

Hope this helps

Regarding your PS! Not sure what you are asking here - but if you are hinting to the APIs, take a look at the PATCH command in the REST API:

APM REST API - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation .

For Experience Cards there is currently no public API available.

Have a great weekend,

Stig

• 4.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2017 08:54 AM

Stig_Skilbred

Thanks Stig for sharing this great info. So helpful! 

• 5.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Posted Mar 21, 2017 02:29 PM

Hello Stig,

everything is doing well, thanks. And I start shipping APM 10.5.1 to the field some week ago. Hopefully, I finished the job until June.

The map is a nice useless view (sorry), the map can't handle all the resources. See my previous post, https://communities.ca.com/thread/241773193.

So, the first thing to think about is that Experience Cards are only based on the nodes in the map that represent the entry-points of the application - think of it as the end user.

But, yes this is the Problem.

One idea would be to just create a Card based on agentDomain - no filters.

This Card would contain all the domains in the universe, and also pick up new domain-values as they are added to the system. With only one click - you'll have the Experience Cards for each Domain.

Cards based on "agentDomain" are the only useful way I found to use the Cards.

I do the click many times, to add resources to the Cards. But the problem is, I can add available Domain entries only.

For example, I add a new Domain entry to the domains.xml, I can't create a corresponding Card as long as no agent is assigned to the entry.

Second, you will only have attributes assigned to the above node types available to define your Experience Card.

I have a look to the APM Rest API documentation, but I can't find a useful sample to update some attributes on the one hand, on the other, it seems to me, it is necessary to reassign the attributes all the time something was changed or a application is moved.

For example, I assign attributes to JVM jm001, jvm002 and jvm003. The Card is useful as long as the JVMs are running on system A, but if we moved the JVMs to system B the Card is useless. This is the reason I used "agentDomain" only.

I'm able to retrieve some Information via the Rest API only, but I take a look to the PATCH command.

With regards,

Lutz

• 6.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:37 AM

Hello Stig,

thanks for your suggestion. I start playing with the rest-API and the post-request last week.

I'm able to add some additional attributes, but I decide to use the Attribute Rules to do this.

Today, I use five new attributes assigned to the nodes/resources by some Attribute Rules and we can select the proper data/nodes only, now.

Thanks for your suggestions,
    Lutz

• 7.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 23, 2017 11:06 AM

Hi Lutz:

Please share any further insights you may find about Experience views to help others and start a discussion on this topic

Thanks

Hal German

• 8.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Posted Jul 13, 2017 01:20 PM

Hello Hal,

I'll do so, but today the way how to customise the Team Center is sometimes very cumbersome.

Umfortunately, I manage 31 environments based on APM 10.5.1 and 3 based on Introscope 9.5.2, but I enable the TC for 22 environments only. One of the ugly things was, to enter the same or similar data several times. And the Experience Views menu shows only the attributes to which data has been assigned. I short form, I could not prepare the new Experience Views, I must wait until the environment became production state.

But now, it looks fine, I think,

Lutz

• 9.  Re: Hints to create Experience Views

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 13, 2017 04:53 PM

Is the complaint about the attribute rules, perspectives, or both?

The rules can be imported from a file, so I think that will eliminate a lot of the repetitive work.