Rally Software

• 1.  Can the Capacity Planning page update planned start/end dates?

Posted Mar 15, 2017 11:48 AM

The Capacity Planning page has a 'publish with updates' function that updates only certain fields.  We would love for this function to update the planned start/end dates based on each team's capacity and the priority order of the features.  There is some math involved and it would certainly be an estimate in some cases, but would be helpful to see how things lay out end to end.  I don't see this ability in the online documentation, but I am wondering if there is an option to do this or if this is on the possible future feature list for this page.  Thank you!

• 2.  Re: Can the Capacity Planning page update planned start/end dates?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 15, 2017 03:55 PM

Hello, currently the Capacity Planned page does included the planned start/end dates. When you choose the publish option the following pop up box will appear.

The following fields will be modified for portfolio items in this plan:

• Release
    • Planned Start Date
    • Planned End Date

You can choose to publish without updating fields in CA Agile Central such as Release and Planned Start and End Dates of all the portfolio items allocated in the plan. The Release field is only updated when the start and end dates match in the plan.

The currently functionality does not allow it be updated based on each team's capacity or by priority.  If you would like this feature I would encourage you to post it on ideas.rallydev.com

Thank you,

Christian 

• 3.  Re: Can the Capacity Planning page update planned start/end dates?

Posted Mar 16, 2017 10:23 AM

Thank you Christian!  I understand that it updates the start/end dates with the start/end dates of the Release(s) in the plan, but we were looking for something more specific.  A 12 week Release has many features for a train and they will be completed throughout the Release, not just at the end.   I will create an item in the ideas site for this concept!