DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  CA UIM - Alarm Correlation

Posted Mar 16, 2017 08:35 AM

Hello Folks,

I have a doubt. Do you think is possible to correlate alarms on CA UIM 8.2 ?

For example, we're monitoring a huge customer via VPN Site-to-Site, when the VPN comes down is started the process of creation of various alarms, like 600 alarms. Is possible to co-relate all those alarms in only one alarm with a message like ''VPN to customerA comes down'' ? 

Regards,

• 2.  Re: CA UIM - Alarm Correlation

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 09:22 AM

Hi Jean,

Are you referring to alarm suppression?  Whereby an alarm from a single event is only displayed once and the Count value is increased each time a new alarm is issued?

This process is handled on the nas level and is based on a suppression key that is generated by the probe.  If this isn't happening, then there is an issue either with the way the probe is generating the alarm, or there is a problem with the way that nas is handling the suppression key.

• 3.  Re: CA UIM - Alarm Correlation

Posted Mar 22, 2017 02:21 PM

I believe he's talking about a root cause analysis type of correlation, so that (for ex.)if the Gateway to the VPN site is down, you wouldn't have alarms indicating that each of the devices that are behind it are unreachable, only the root cause.

• 4.  Re: CA UIM - Alarm Correlation

Posted Mar 22, 2017 02:43 PM

@ David,

Yep, I'm talking about exactly that.

Did you do that before or do you  know how to do this kind of monitoring feature ? 

• 5.  Re: CA UIM - Alarm Correlation
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2017 03:05 PM

Ah OK, there are a few pieces that come into play for this type of monitoring.  This is the fault correlation piece of the product which relies on a few pieces working in tandem.

Here's a link to the documentation on that.  I know the link states 8.4, but the process hasn't changed in as long as I can remember.

Topology and Root Cause Analysis - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.4 - CA Technologies Documentation