DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Posted Mar 20, 2017 05:40 AM

I’m monitoring some DBs (MSsql and Oracle) via CA UIM v. 8.5.1. The sqlserver and oracle probes (both v. 5.10) are running on UIM primary hub (hostname scruim) monitoring DBs remotely. The probes work and collect the DB metrics correctly but I see:

• MS-SQL DBs mterics displayed below the “Metrics tab” inside of each MSSQL DB remote nodes (automatically discovered) 

• Oracle DBs metrics displayed below the “Metrics tab” inside the UIM primary hub node where the DBs probe are installed and running. Is this state/configuration correct?

• 2.  Re: CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 20, 2017 09:07 AM

Hi Claudio,

Could you attach the pictures they did not seem to make it that would be helpful.

I would expect bot the oracle probe and SQL server probe data to be listed on the metric tab

for the remote database instance they are monitoring not on the robot where the probes are located unless

this is also a target database server.

• 3.  Re: CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Posted Mar 20, 2017 10:33 AM

Hi Gene,

I attached the pictures. 

The UIM primary hub server doesn't a target DB server. Let me give you a brief environment description: UIM server + UMP are installed on a single box (Windows 2012 R2),  UIM Database is installed on a different Windows box. The Oracle DBs are installed on remote Windows box. 

• 4.  Re: CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2017 06:11 AM

both oracle and Mssql probes QOS should work the same way in USM if they are setup similarly. 

On the enabled profiles on both probes check if the configuration of the below is set similarly:

• Alarm source: overrides the source name of the alarm on the Unified Service Management (USM). If you do not specify a value, robot IP address is used.
    Use Alarm Source As QoS Source: specifies the probe to use the Alarm source value as the QoS Source.

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/oracle-oracle-database-monitoring/oracle-im-configuration
    https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/sqlserver-sql-server-monitoring/sqlserver-im-configuration

• 5.  Re: CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Posted Mar 21, 2017 12:01 PM

Thanks Marco,

I checked DB profiles (sqlserver and oralce) and both are identical." Alarm source"and "Use Alarm Source As QoS Source" have none value.

Anyway I find rigth you indication; so I've specified a value (remote server hostname) in "Alarm source" and now the alarm coming with the right source.............I'm waiting to see what happens to the DB metrics/QoS.....I will keep you updated... 

• 6.  Re: CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Posted Mar 22, 2017 12:58 PM

Hi Marco,

I specified the right values in Alarm Source and Source As QoS Source and now I see as QoS source the remote DB oracle server hostname

Anyway the remote DB oralce metrics continue to be displayed on the robot where the probe is installed.

Claudio 

• 7.  Re: CA UIM DB remote monitoring

Posted Apr 03, 2017 09:26 AM

from CA Support "It's needs add the oracle_home in the environment section of the robot.cfg to resolve the problem..."

example: <environment> NIM_JRE_HOME = jre/jre7 NIM_JRE_HOME_1_7 = jre/jre7 ORACLE_HOME = D:\app\client\Administrator\product\12.1.0\client_1 TNS_ADMIN = D:\app\client\Administrator\product\12.1.0\client_1\network\admin PATH = %PATH%;D:\app\client\Administrator\product\12.1.0\client_1\bin NLS_LANG = </environment> example: <environment> NIM_JRE_HOME = jre/jre7 NIM_JRE_HOME_1_7 = jre/jre7 ORACLE_HOME = D:\app\client\Administrator\product\12.1.0\client_1 TNS_ADMIN = D:\app\client\Administrator\product\12.1.0\client_1\network\admin PATH = %PATH%;D:\app\client\Administrator\product\12.1.0\client_1\bin NLS_LANG = </environment>

It's works!!

Ciao

Claudio