Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

• 1.  High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted Mar 23, 2017 06:16 AM

HI, I have CA DevTest Server installed in Windows Server 2012 R2 [8GB RAM] and facing high CPU[99%] and high memory utilization[80%] by VSE process. I tried stopping few of the deployed services but still the CPU and memory utilization remains the same. Can someone please suggest how to resolve the issue?

• 2.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 07:56 AM

What version is this? 

• 3.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 07:57 AM

What all DevTest services have you started on this box?

• 4.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted Mar 23, 2017 08:38 AM

Devtest version is 9.1. Following services are running in the server:

1. Registry

2. VSE

3. Simulator

4. Coordinator

5. Broker

6. Portal.

I noticed DevTest VSE process is consuming 86% of CPU Utilization and Registry to be 5%.

• 5.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted Mar 23, 2017 09:11 AM

As an observation, once a Java process (and this DevTest) has obtained memory from the OS it will not be returned until the process is restarted.

• 6.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted Mar 23, 2017 09:15 AM

Does VSE process release memory and minimizes CPU utilization, if 50% of deployed services are stopped in Devtest Console? 

• 7.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 23, 2017 12:02 PM

Like all Java processes, the VSE will manage the memory it has been allocated, and will request more from the OS to grow the internal heap up to the size specified by the -Xmx value (which may be specified in the vmoptions file).

Once it has the memory, however, it does not release it back to the OS. If garbage collection frees up heap, it is managed as free heap space. This behaviour is that exhibited by Java, and is not specific to DevTest.

If your CPU utilisation is due to workload, then setting the logging to be less verbose may assist. In the logging.properties file, look for the line that reads log4j.rootCategory=INFO,A1, and modify it to be log4j.rootCategory=WARN,A1 . No restart is necessary.

If you are sure that the VSE is occupying the CPU, look into the vse.log after making the above change - you may receive some indication of any issues that need to be addressed from this log file. 

• 8.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted Mar 24, 2017 09:15 AM

Thank you Dave. I will check the log file for any exceptions logged.

Also, is there any way to find the CPU utilization/ memory utilization of individual virtual services deployed?

• 9.  Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted Sep 11, 2018 02:15 PM

I've been trying to find an easy way to identify virtual services that are high cpu and memory consumers as well. 

• 10.  RE: Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Posted 16 days ago

We're getting high CPU usage after upgrade to Service pack4 for 10.7.2 version. I've changed the rootlogger.level to ERROR and as per the logs, we're getting :
    ERROR: com.itko.lisa.vse.http.Endpoint: - The requested url ... is invalid and not found on this server. 

Do you have any thoughts on this? 

• 11.  RE: Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 16 days ago

Akshita,  can you please open a ticket with Broadcom Support?  We would like to look at your environment in a call. 

Thanks

Shiney

• 12.  RE: Re: High CPU and Memory Utilization of VSE process in server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted 16 days ago

Hi Akshita,

Is this the same or similar issue 33671351 you opened or different? If it is different, can you please open a support case and provide details on the issue you are facing?

Regards,

Prema