DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Creating custom string metrics within JavaAgent

Posted Mar 23, 2017 06:46 AM

We are running APM in Docker containers and we would like to extend the metric set to include a custom metric of our own. This will pull back the container ID from the environment.

Do you have any guidelines on how we can achieve this?

e.g. within our container, we have an environment variable "hostname" this is equal to the container id.

We do not want to use the container ID as the agent name because we will fill up smartstore metadata with unnecessary short lived agents!

• 2.  Re: Creating custom string metrics within JavaAgent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 07:06 AM

Hi Paul:

I asked on the internal board for assistance on this. No guarantees. But usually get a response.

Thanks 

Hal German

• 3.  Re: Creating custom string metrics within JavaAgent

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 23, 2017 07:07 PM

Hi Paul,

there are two possible roads to go:

1. CA APM Agentless Docker Monitor and Container Flow Map: will create Docker "infrastructure" metrics for Docker and containers and will add attributes to APM Team Center (ATC) vertices (e.g. Servlet, Web Service) that are running in a Docker container that is also monitored by an agent. The Container Flow Map will be created to depict transaction flows between all containers, not only those with an agent. But that map is not correlated with the application flow (e.g. Servlet -> Web Service) for now. For more info see online do in link above.
    2. You can add the "Automatic Attribute" extension to your Java agent that can gather information from environment variables, files, ... and add that as ATC attributes. This is in beta right now but I can help you try it out.

You can contact me directly for a follow-up!

Ciao,

Guenter