Clarity

• 1.  OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 24, 2017 04:12 PM
      |   view attached

I'm running into an auto schedule issue with Open Workbench when using material resources planned on fixed duration tasks and some dependencies. As soon as I enter some effort for the material assignment and click autoplan, OWB just freezes.

Attached is a OWB file, exported from a 15.1 CA PPM system, showing the issue.

Open, click autoplan, OWB hangs (on our computers at least ....).

I have been unable to create a OWB file manually (without CA PPM) showing the same behaviour.

Does somebody knows this issue and/or has some advice?

Attachment(s)

zip
    PR2459.repro.1.rmp.zip   72 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 26, 2017 04:48 PM

I get the same

and cannot get out of it without closing OWB. After removing the effort from the material assignment no problem completing the autoschedule.

When you say

"I have been unable to create a OWB file manually (without CA PPM) showing the same behaviour."

do you mean stand alone OWB or creating the project directly in OWB?

My OWB does not run without schedule connect installed. Have not checked your site for standa alone install.

P.S. Thanks for the invitation to the group.

• 3.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 27, 2017 04:10 AM

thanks! It's helpful to know the problem can be reproduce by others!

Regarding your question: in my case, all the projects with this issue have been created in CA PPM first and saved locally. After that, the issue can be reproduced, without the need of schedule connect.

I have tried to create a project with this issue in OWB, without exporting it from CA PPM first. I did not managed to reproduce the issue. 

It also looks like older versions of OWB do not have the issue. With the 2.1.1 (13.3.0.286 06 8) the autoplan worked.

• 4.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2017 04:11 PM

If it cannot be reproduced in a project which is directly in OWB that suggests that OWB is working correctly and that there might be something in the data that comes from CA PPM.

If you look at the properties of the material resource

The first thing that strikes me is that there is no availability. Secondly the availability dates are blank.

Doesn't that mean that the resource is not allocated to the project?

Setting values for those

Does not make a difference and the value in Availability (1) does not stick.

The next thing is to look at the calendar.

Can't really say how the working days in the resource calendar are because of the Windows 10 theme.

However selecting a date and clicking Workday marks the right top corner with black to indicate override.

When I Autoschedule after that

No problem at all.

If you do not have the problem with the earlier versions could the reason be that either the material resource is not set up the same way or CA PPM sets up material resource differently by default in 15.1 (and may versions after that).

• 5.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 28, 2017 11:01 AM

I did some testing, and your are right, it is because of the availability. I have been even able to reproduce the issue with a file created in OWB (no CA PPM) by removing the availability. After marking in OWB one random day (like 1.1.1901) as working day for the material resource solves the issue.

I have also set explicitly one day as working day in the CA PPM material resource calendar. 

After this, I'm not able to reproduce the issue anymore.

It did not matter which day, marking a working day as working day is enough.

We will do some more tests, but this looks like a possible workaround for the issue.

• 6.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 28, 2017 12:19 PM

Some feature and some work around.

• 7.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 27, 2017 04:32 PM

Hi Sergiu, 

You might be running into the following defect: 

DE31898: Autoschedule does not complete for some projects

DE31898 prevents some projects from being autoscheduled in both Clarity and OWB. Autoschedule will start, but never complete.

This defect is targeted to be fixed on the next patch for 15.1. Patch 6 is expected to become available in mid-April. 

Thanks, 
    Maria Whiteside

• 8.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 28, 2017 12:57 AM

If there is a fix being developed that suggests that a cause is known.

Would you like to share what are the some projects in this case.

• 9.  Re: OWB hangs on auto schedule

Posted Mar 28, 2017 03:57 AM

Thanks Maria!  Like urmas sugested, could you please detail what "is wrong" in some projects?

If you can sugest a workaround, would be great!

@urmas: I'll check the availability for the material resources and see if I can find a workaround. Thanks for your time!