AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  General Csam/SSA question.

Posted Mar 25, 2017 01:00 PM

Hi,

I have an AutoSys and WCC environment, unfortunatelly I do not have a deep understanding of Csam/SSA and I am not able to find in depth documentation about it.

As far as I understand Csam/SSA does provide a multiplexing and SSL capacity. We can turn these features on/off by running below command.

./csamconfigedit Port=9000 EnableSL=false EnablePmux=false

./csamconfigedit portrange=49152-50176 EnablePmux=true EnableSSL=True

I know EnablePmux and EnableSSL settings must be the same on all AutoSys/WCC servers.

So we can define for Application server port 9000 and 7500

7500 (AppSrvAuxiliaryListeningPort parameter defined in config.ACE ) will be used by non-SSA communications

9000 (AutoServerPort parameter defined in config.ACE) will be used by SSA communications

to make it work we need to turn on EnablePmux in port 9000 by running ./csamconfigedit Port=9000 EnablePmux=true

Will this mean if I try to run an autosys command where csam is not installed I will have to open port 7500 but if it is installed I will have to open 7163?

Can you please tell me if PMUX is only used by application server and not by event demon process?

I am not sure also about the portrange parameter in csamconfigedit. 

What is the use of ./csamconfigedit portrange=49152-50176 xxxxx?

Is it when WCC or other CLI try to connect to application server so they connect from a high number port?

do you know of any documentation available?

thanks for your help.

José

• 2.  Re: General Csam/SSA question.
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 25, 2017 01:16 PM

You are mostly correct.

To address your direct questions:

Will this mean if I try to run an autosys command where csam is not installed I will have to open port 7500 but if it is installed I will have to open 7163?

I cannot foresee a scenario where an autosys client would be installed without CSAM. It is a question of whether CSAM is multiplexing or not (EnablePmux=[true | false]). You will have to open port 7163 if EnablePmux=True. Otherwise you will need to open the PortRange (see below)

Can you please tell me if PMUX is only used by application server and not by event demon process?

CSAM is used by the event_demon, R11 agent (auto_remote), application server and clients (incl. WCC, SDK apps & CLI (e.g. autorep, etc.)). It is also used in a very limited (and optional) way (for BLOB/GLOBS) by the 11.3 agent.

Here is how the PortRange is used:

When the R11 agent (auto_remote) starts up it will register port 49152 and 49153 with either CSAM (EnablePmux=True) or the Operating System (EnablePmux=False).
    Port 49152 will be used to receive requests and port 49153 will be used for response messages.
    If EnablePmux=true all communication will be routed through physical port 7163.
    If EnablePmux=false both 49152 and 49153 will be registered as physical ports.

The ephemeral portrange is split into two sections.
    Processes that are involved in startup such as event_demon, auto_ping, chase, chk_auto_up, clean_files will create Server objects that listens to messages from the parent array. These server objects will be restricted to a subset of the ephemeral range: 49154-49218.
    Client processes such as jil, sendevent, autorep will pickup the Application Server port from the config file and will also create a Server object that utilizes the remaining subset of the ephemeral range: 49219-50176.

Hope this helps.

Mark Hanson

• 3.  Re: General Csam/SSA question.

Posted Mar 25, 2017 02:11 PM

thanks Mark.

I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel  

I still need to think a bit through your answer but I am understanding a bit better now.

Best regards.

José