Service Virtualization

Expand all | Collapse all

Setup a distributed architecture!

• 1.  Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 27, 2017 05:51 AM

Is it possible to have Registry, Coordinator and Simulator server, all running on different machines?
    If yes, how to do so?

• 2.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 27, 2017 06:22 AM

Yes, this is possible. Please review Running Components on Different Systems.

• 3.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 27, 2017 11:32 AM

Ulrich_Vogt Thanks for your reply!  

Still a small confusion!

I have to connect my local registry with a coordinator server running on a different machine.

Do I need to add this lisa.registry.url=tcp://myserver.example.com:2010/Registry property on the machine running the coordinator?

Thanks in advance.

• 4.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 27, 2017 11:40 AM

Yes, exactly, by adding this property plus setting to the local.properties file on the system where the Coordinator service will run. You need to tell the coordinator where to find the registry. 

• 5.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 27, 2017 12:18 PM

Ulrich_Vogt Thanks  Let me try doing that! 
    Just to confirm - There won't be any change in the machine running the registry, correct?

Also, once this is done, if by using lisa-invoke, I trigger a test case/suite which coordinator will be used? One running on the same machine as registry or the remote coordinator server? I believe this has to be mentioned in the staging doc!

Please let me know  Appreciate your help!

• 6.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 28, 2017 04:49 AM

There won't be any changes required on the registry system.

If you want to run the Coordinator on the registry server AND the one on the remote system, make sure to rename one of them, preferably the remote one. Add -Dlisa.coordName=<new coordinator name> to the CoordinatorService.vmoptions (or CoordinatorServer.vmoptions, resp.) file on the remote system, with <new coordinator name> different than 'coordinator'. This way coordinators can be distinguished by name. 

• 7.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 29, 2017 06:42 AM

Ulrich_Vogt - If I do as you suggested, then the remote Coordinator; will it be connected to both it's own registry and the registry I'm telling it connect?

• 8.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 29, 2017 06:52 AM

Each DevTest component (VSE, Coordinator, Simulator, Broker, Portal) points to a single registry service only, the one you tell it to connect to. Please review DevTest Solutions Architecture and following sections for further clarification. 

• 9.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Mar 29, 2017 08:57 AM

Ulrich_Vogt: Thanks  Will go through it!

• 10.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Apr 04, 2017 12:59 PM

Ulrich_Vogt Hi,

I've tried doing what you've suggested and was able to successfully connect to the default coordinator server on the remote server with my local registry.

However, doing this shows no coordinator server when running DevTest on remote server. So, I created a new coordinator server (on a different port) in the remote machine using CoordinatorServer.exe in {LISA_HOME}/bin and told it to connect to my local registry. This was successful temporarily.

When I restarted the services in the remote machine I wasn't able to see that server again.

How to start both the coordinator servers simultaneously on the remote machine??

Thanks in advance!

• 11.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Apr 20, 2017 01:49 PM

Ulrich_Vogt Any suggestion here, please?

• 12.  Re: Setup a distributed architecture!

Posted Apr 24, 2017 06:29 AM

This seems to be a configuration problem of the configuration server on the remote system. If using two DevTest Coordinators as Windows services on the remote system you need to

1. copy CoordinatorService to CoordinatorService2.exe
    2. copy CoordinatorService.vmoptions to CoordinatorService2.vmoptions
    3. create a Windows service entry for CoordinatorService2.exe
    4. edit CoordinatorService.vmoptions and add
    5. Coordinator-1
    6. edit CoordinatorService2.vmoptions and add
    7. Coordinator-2
    8. Important to notice:
      1. See the reference to the remote registry
      2. See the different names (Coord1-sys-2 and Coord2-sys-2) to refer to the different Coordinators on this remote system sys-2.
      3. See the different port numbers for each of the Coordinator services
      4. See the different log files for each of the Coordinator services
    9. Start the Coordinators as Windows services
    10. Verify the Coordinator service status in Portal on your local system at 'Monitor / Server Health' (in the screenshot the real server names are anonymized)
    11. Server Health

If you launch the Coordinators from command line you need to use CoordinatorServer executables and vmoptions files accordingly.