CA Service Management

• 1.  pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 28, 2017 11:49 PM

In one of our R12.6 environments we cannot get one of the Secondary servers to come up after a system crash. It has worked fine for years and we are not aware of making a change but on this secondary server we now get the following error any time we try to start-up the whole system:

... 4348 ERROR        pdm_process.c          881 Process stopped unexpected exit code from: C:/PROGRA~2/CA/SERVIC~1/bin/pdm_ver -s Expected: 0 Received: 255

We have restarted all host servers involved.

Does any one have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks

• 2.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 29, 2017 12:53 AM

Hey Alan,

I would suggest you to refer to the following technical document:

https://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec599738.html 

Thanks

Junaid

• 3.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 29, 2017 03:35 AM

Adding to the above response, also check that your site\mods folder on the secondary is in sync with the primary server. make sure that there are no differences in schema or mod files. If at all you find any changes then copy the site\mods files across from the primary server to the secondary server.

Make sure to restart the SDM service.

I hope this helps!

Regards 

Junaid

• 4.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 29, 2017 08:25 AM

I agree with Junaid here - what I would do is take a backup of the current NX_ROOT\site\mods directory on each server, then stop services on the primary, then stop the proctor on the secondary servers, and then copy the mods dir from the primary to each secondary.  Then start the proctor up on each secondary, then start the primary back up.  To take it one step further, you can also run a pdm_configure on each secondary and then the primary to ensure that things are in sync.

Hope this helps,

Jon I.

• 5.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 29, 2017 08:26 AM

As a side note here - just for your information, SDM 12.6 has went end of support quite a few years back now.  I would highly recommend that you look to upgrade to a supported version of the product (14.1.03 is the latest version) so that our support teams can assist you if needed in the future.

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 6.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 30, 2017 01:52 PM

Hi Alan,

Did any one of the above comments help you to resolve your issue.

If yes then mark it as correct answer or else let us know if you have any more concerns.

Regards

Junaid

• 7.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:11 PM

Alan, as no one mark correct answer yet I just throw out a simple possible solution:

If you don't care about the version control, you can simply disable version control on

that secondary by setting VER_CTL parameter in NX.env to DISABLE on that

secondary server and then recycle the proctor.

Thanks _Chi

• 8.  Re: pdm_ver Error on R12.6 Secondary Server

Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:43 PM

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

We have now resolved the issue, it turned out that it was a problem we had struck some time ago which relates to what Junaid suggested. We do have NX_USE_PDM_DLL=YES  in our NX.env and as a result there are some critical files in the NX_ROOT\shm folder. For us they are named 4e580001, 4e580002 and 4e580003. We fixed the problem by deleting these (on the Secondary server that is having the problem) and once cleared out they get re-created at start up.