DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  COBRA interface instead of SNMP?

Posted Mar 28, 2017 12:10 PM

I was asked the question whether or not CA UIM will support SNMP integration on CORBA interface? I've not used this type of interface before and not sure if there is anyway we can monitor this type of communication. Anyone else work on this before?

• 2.  Re: COBRA interface instead of SNMP?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 28, 2017 12:38 PM

Do you have more details you can share?  SNMP and CORBA are two different protocols and don't really have much to do with each other.  Some carrier grade network equipment only supports monitoring via integration to the vendor's respective element management system (such as Nortel Preside) via CORBA ( Nortel Preside MDM - CA Spectrum - 10.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation ) and didn't support SNMP.  There are a few whitepapers and email threads out there that compare SNMP vs CORBA for use in network management ( Network management performance analysis and scalability Tests: SNMP vs. CORBA (PDF Download Available) , Google Groups  ).  You'll notice that most of this is fairly old since the use of CORBA has fallen out of favor to REST and other web based APIs in the industry. 

• 3.  Re: COBRA interface instead of SNMP?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 05:33 AM

Hello, what do you try to achieve ? We have an Integration between Spectrum and UIM already via the nisapi_wasp and spectrumgtw probe. Please refer to the following documentation

https://docops.ca.com/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-probes/ga/en/alphabetical-probe-articles/spectrumgtw-spectrum-gateway

Kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

• 4.  Re: COBRA interface instead of SNMP?

Posted Mar 30, 2017 09:00 PM

Thank you all for the responses... I was confused at first but that has helped clear it up a bit as I was thinking COBRA was some variation of SNMP for some reason. We had some Verizon reps ask if we could monitor via  COBRA interface and needed to do a little digging. Doesn't look like there is anything simple that comes with CA UIM that I can use to do so and I'll just need to insist we use SNMP instead.