DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Display alarms in UMP 8.51 based on origin

Posted Mar 29, 2017 07:54 AM

Good morning all,

I am trying to create a view of all net_connect alarms for a customer with a specific origin. The probe that is running net_connect has a different origin, namely NIU. I shall refer to the customer origin as CUSTOMER.

So far I have added a custom message with a custom subsystem to each net_connect profile for the customer.

Then a pre-processing rule in the nas picks up the alarm based on the subsystem and sets the origin to CUSTOMER.

So all the customer's net_connect alarms do have an origin of CUSTOMER. That bit is working.

My idea was to add the net_connect host into a USM group in the customer's area and let the origin filter do the rest. Unfortunately, I do not see any alarms for net_connect at all. I think this is because the host configuration from the net_connect profile is used for the host field of the alarm. This does not match the hostname of the robot running net_connect and therefore does not show.

Is there another way I can display these net_connect alarms? It's a shame that the old alarm console portlet has gone.

Thanks

Paul

• 2.  Re: Display alarms in UMP 8.51 based on origin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 11:52 AM

Dear Paul,

the net_connect probe should actually create dev_id's for all these profiles and these would then either correlated into existing devices or  exist as new devices.  Before you can see any alarms, you of course need to find a filter that identifies the devices.  

I was not able to find a way to positively identify all devices that are being created by the net_connect probe. There is a new option in 8.5.1 to create a filter for a sql select and you could then filter by cs_id's where the device has the net_connect robot as device source.

Select cs_id from CM_DEVICE where dev_src_id in(select dev_src_id from CM_DEVICE where dev_ip = '<robotip>')

In my case this proved not to be useful as my net_connect host was the hub that runs the discovery but maybe someone else has an idea here.

Why do you go via a preprocessing rule to change the origin and did not change the origin on the net_connect robot?

Kind Regards,

Martin Fink

CA Tech Support

• 3.  Re: Display alarms in UMP 8.51 based on origin

Posted Mar 30, 2017 09:39 AM

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

Our net_connect probe hosts profiles for many different customers. If I change the net_connect robot origin then it will change for every single customer. I only want to change the origin for the profiles for one customer. That is already working just fine. Each alarm for CUSTOMER comes through with an origin of CUSTOMER.

I have tried changing the hostname in the net_connect profile to the same hostname as the robot hosting the net_connect probe. This works and now the alarms have a source and host that reflects the robot hosting net_connect. However, they still do not show up in the USM when I create a container that just contains the robot hosting net_connect. Other alarms show there, just no net_connect ones.

Thanks
    Paul

• 4.  Re: Display alarms in UMP 8.51 based on origin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2017 11:38 PM

Hello.

I'm not sure details what the desire is here, but let me try to explain how USM view works displaying alarms.

In UIM world, alarm is an object that a device owns.

When you are pointing a device, or group (device members) in USM, this is how it works finding alarms that are owned by device or group.

Device name is searched in CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM

CM_DEVICE.[dev_id] is searched from CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEM.[cs_id]

NAS_ALARMS.[dev_id] is searched from CM_DEVICE.[dev_id]

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yu