CA Service Management

• 1.  Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:19 PM

I am trying to setup a mailbox rule which will auto-create an Incident ticket only for the specific circumstance:

vendor sends an email to the SD mailbox with the subject of (Incident - Sticker Tampering)

I just need some help on the correct filter syntax as I had the following filter text set which then caused every email sent to the mailbox (including the auto replies from people on vacation/out of office) to create an Incident ticket

[ \t\r\n]incident[ \t\r\n]

Any help on understanding the syntax and switches would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Katherine

• 2.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:48 PM
    Hello,  Ideally what I would do:
    I would create a new mailbox exclusively reserved for the supplier.
    In the chain of character, I would try to be as accurate as possible in
    order to be certain that only the character string will be taken into
    account at the opening of the incident.
    Something like "[Incident-Sticker_Tampering]".

It is certain that the new mailbox must also use a new e-mail address
    so normally only known by the provider.

I believe that this could address the problem of automatic response to
    the generic address of Service Desk. What do you think about it?

Remy

• 3.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 30, 2017 06:48 PM

I would agree that there should be a devoted mailbox that is just for the purposes of creating tickets.  But rather than creating a separate mailbox for one vendor, you can handle automatic replies by creating additional mailbox rules to 'ignore' emails with the common out-of-office subject lines.  The below screen print shows the ones that I've created, with the 'ignore email' action.  They changed our email system awhile ago to prefix all automatic replies with AUTO: so then I created the last one in the list to cover them all.

Hope that helps some.

Tammy

• 4.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Apr 03, 2017 02:44 PM

Thanks for the ideas ... my email administrator doesn't really like the idea of having to create a separate email address (I'll try to look at other solutions first and keep this as last resort). For the ignore email rules, I like this idea, will just have to be careful as we do get tickets created from employees pertaining to questions about their vacation and personal time so I don't want to exclude them (will check into the prefix all auto replies with AUTO).

Was really hoping I could just set the filter text to be the specific words I want and not have to worry about impacting ano other emails or setup special mailboxes. This is going to be our first try at auto creating tickets and I know there are some other folks who would like to use this feature for emails from their applications/servers.

thank you

Katherine

• 5.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Apr 03, 2017 03:55 PM

Hi Katherine,

I'm not really sure that I totally understood your original question -- I had just replied with what I do to deal with out-of-office replies, because we have a rule that allows any email subject line to create a ticket, but we didn't want tickets created for those automatic replies.  

So to back up a bit, if you only want tickets to be created if the email subject line has this:  "Incident - Sticker Tampering" -- then you should be able to just revise the rule that has this:  [ \t\r\n]incident[ \t\r\n]  to be this instead:  [ \t\r\n]Incident - Sticker Tampering[ \t\r\n]

If that is the only rule that you have in the mailbox to create a ticket, then any other emails will be ignored.

Hope that helps.

Tammy

• 6.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Apr 04, 2017 09:23 AM

Tammy,

Thank you, this does help and I think its what I needed.

One more question about the mailboxes and rules as I was thinking of creating a new mailbox and rules (still using the same email address as the default one does) so I could give them specific names instead of using the default ones.

If I set the default mailbox as "Inactive" but the rules as "Active" will these rules still be referenced and the action taken? Or is it best to just set both the default mailbox and its corresponding rules as inactive?

Katherine

• 7.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Apr 04, 2017 05:58 PM

Hi Katherine,

I was really hoping to see that someone else answered you earlier, because I didn't see this until now.  What we did was to just rename the default mailbox to the name we wanted it to be called.  Then we inactivated any out of the box rules that we didn't want to use, and created the ones we wanted. 

If you choose to inactivate the default mailbox instead though, I'm not entirely sure if you would also need to inactivate the mail rules or not -- Trust, me I'm no expert!   -- But if you remove the information in the host name and user name fields, then that mailbox definition would no longer have a connection to the email address you are going to use in the other mailbox definition. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Tammy

• 8.  Re: Auto Ticket Creation from EMail

Posted Apr 05, 2017 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone.

What I ended up doing is inactivating the default mailbox and rules, created our own mailbox and rules and then also setup rules for ignoring emails with subject of "out of office / on vacation / auto reply" like suggested above.

Katherine