Rally Software

• 1.  Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 03, 2017 07:36 AM

I have seen several complex websites, but none of them has had an experience as slow as Rallydev. I'm thinking you're doing too much work behind the scenes, without thinking much about performance. For example, if I load a 'defect page', the defect details might load anything from 3 to 30 seconds (and until then the 'Description' text area for the defect remains empty), and it's unpredictable, but always slow. Why can't this loading be fast? Why does clicking on the 'Discussion' tab and coming back to 'Details' tab seem to load everything from the server again? What steps are you taking to improve the site performance for each of these steps? Also, is there a 'light version' of the website which loads static content and just lets me read basic details etc.?

Thanks,

Piyush

• 2.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 03, 2017 10:10 AM

That's not consistent with my experiences using Rally. I wouldn't call the application fast, but if you're seeing something on the order of 30 second load times then you should probably open a case with CA support. Meanwhile there are definitely things that you can do to improve the user experience like ensuring that you're defaulting to the Quick Detail Page and not the full Editable Detail Page. Hope that helps.

• 3.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 04, 2017 11:48 PM

It varies and is generally lesser than that, but yes the maximum time it has taken would be around 30 seconds (and in general it always feels slow). Unfortunately, default view only mode is not an option for me as I need to make changes to them all the time. Since you wouldn't call the application 'fast', are there any steps CA is taking to make it 'fast enough'?

Thanks,

Piyush

• 4.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 05, 2017 07:03 AM

Hi Piyush;

I'm a CA customer, not an employee so I really can't say what CA might be doing to speed up the application but my users already find it "fast enough". What I was referring to regarding speeding up page load times was the Quick Detail Page, not "viewing mode". Again, I can't emphasize enough that you should try working with CA support. They're quite responsive and can help with analysis of your specific subscription and situation. Thanks.

-Eric Nash

• 5.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 05, 2017 11:01 AM

Thanks EricNash.  PiyushSoni1379549 I am the Support Delivery Manager for CA Agile Central and I can definitely say that if you're experiencing performance issues or seeing slow load times, please do open up a case with us so we can help.  

Here's what we will ask - please provide responses to these questions in your case to speed it along: 

In order to track down possible causes, and to get a better idea of the scope of this problem, could you please answer the following questions? We do understand this is long list. The more details we can receive from you, the more thorough we can be in our investigation, as there are many potential causes which can contribute to performance issues.

1. Please provide full usernames for at least two to three users reporting latency along with the Browser/Version and OS is being used. This will enable us to review the logs for these users.
    2. Where are you or the users experiencing this geographically located?
    3. Please provide specific dates and times as you can (including the time zone) for which slowdowns were experienced. This will help narrow the scope of the search.
    4. What pages/sections of CA Agile Central seem to be slow? Are there any specific actions that fail or cause slowdowns?
    5. Please send us the results after visiting the following URL: https://rally1.rallydev.com/nettest/
    6. Please send us the results after visiting the following URL: https://rally1.rallydev.com/cdn-cgi/trace.cgi
    7. Please send us the results after visiting the following URL: www.speedtest.net
    8. Do you know if you are using a proxy - if you aren't sure, please provide what browser you are using and we can send instructions to help
    9. Are the users experiencing this working remotely and connecting through a VPN?
    10. Are the users working wirelessly?

Please try using an incognito or private browser session to see if the results are any different. We can also provide instructions on this once we know what browser you are using.

Do you see different results with a different browser? If you haven't tried this, can you please do that?

Also, the following knowledge article that contains several troubleshooting tips for performance issues:
    http://www.ca.com/us/services-support/ca-support/ca-support-online/knowledge-base-articles.tec01000001826.html 

• 6.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 06, 2017 01:44 PM

We regularly and consistently see 7-10 second load times on Detail Pages

and about 5-7 seconds to load a grid view such as Portfolio Items

Would you consider those normal, or should I file a ticket as you suggest?

• 7.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 06, 2017 02:58 PM

Hey seliot, thanks for that info. 

In general, those two pages (work item detail and Portfolio Items) are 2/3 of the highest-intensity pages and are the toughest for the application to load. So, they along with Dashboard will definitely be less performant than other areas. This is something we're aware of and are working to improve.

One improvement we're working toward so far is QDP (Quick Detail Pages). Typically users who have switched to using QDP instead of the full editable detail page (EDP) see far improved performance. Obviously the downside of QDP is screen real-estate, but it does give the option to show/hide fields so you can see only what you care about and you can change the size of the QDP window. We're also working on other QDP improvements that are hopefully coming soon!

Just looking at your subscription specifically, it looks like your slower pages include the following, but the load times are within expected ranges:

• Dashboards - this is always the case. We suggest that users remove apps they don't need / use as anything above 5 apps will start slowing this page down.
    • User Story detail - again, this is something that will be better with QDP and User Stories in general are being worked on. 
    • Portfolio Items - this is just a big page! 

Besides the above, if you'd like us to work with you to examine your network performance and/or look further into the above, please feel free to submit a case.  Same goes for you PiyushSoni1379549

• 8.  Re: Rallydev Website is very slow in general

Posted Apr 08, 2017 08:34 PM

John, on the advice of my colleagues I switched browsers. I have found both Chrome and MS Edge to be significantly faster.   The bad latencies I reported above where with FireFox 52.0.2 (32-bit) - you may want to file an issue with your devs to investigate why that browser is so much slower with your product