Rally Software

• 1.  Any way to add to Rally Discussion via email?

Posted Apr 03, 2017 07:53 AM

Hi all,

We know that Rally has a Discussion page for every defect. However, sometimes, the discussion for a defect gets carried forward via email, as that's faster and sometimes more convenient. In my previous company, we used another Defect/Project management system which allowed a feature where as long as you kept a special email address in the CC list and the defect number in the Subject, all the discussion would get added to the Defect's discussion as well (so when we open Rally and go to the defect page->Discussion Tab, all of it should be there).

I want to know whether a similar feature is there in Rally?

Thank you,

Piyush

• 2.  Re: Any way to add to Rally Discussion via email?

Posted Apr 03, 2017 10:04 AM

Hi Piyush;

There's no Rally feature that corresponds to this, although you could use the web services API to make a mail handler. One of the teams in my subscription has done things like that but as a rule we try to discourage email and we use Flowdock instead. That still doesn't create discussion entries in Rally (yet) but it keeps the conversation properly threaded and helps solve the problem of disconnected email discussions. Hope that helps.

-Eric 

• 3.  Re: Any way to add to Rally Discussion via email?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 12:50 AM

Thanks for the reply, Eric. Do you think such a feature might be implemented in future, though? Do you think it's something that could be a valuable addition to other teams too? I think it's hard to replace email as a means of quick communication.

• 4.  Re: Any way to add to Rally Discussion via email?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 04, 2017 04:31 AM

PiyushSoni1379549

Please have a look at the following ideas:

https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D1268 Outlook Integration w Rally Discussions

https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D2328 Allow a user story to be the recipient of an email (text and or attachments)

Currently these are marked as not planned. But please vote and comment on these ideas. We would love to have more feedback on these ideas.

• 5.  Re: Any way to add to Rally Discussion via email?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 11:44 PM

Thanks, these look like good ideas to me from the title. But looks like I have to create a THIRD account to view and vote for them, or 'request a login via email'. (Already have one account for CA's rally1.rallydev.com which didn't work for this CA's communities so had to make a new one just to post here, and both of these don't work on CA's 'ideas' subdomain). It's too much work for me for an idea that may or may not be implemented, some time in future so will skip for now. 'Single Sign On' is another 'idea' worth considering.

Thanks,

Piyush