DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

• 1.  UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Apr 03, 2017 09:29 PM

Hello All,

Did anyone come across an issue with UIM maintenance mode functioning incorrectly  during the daylight savings change ? I have come across a scenario where if we set the device in maintenance mode which covers the 24 hour cycle as of below ,the maintenance mode logic fails and generates an alarm exactly an hour before the Maintenance Window finishes 

We had the the day light savings change on April 2nd 2017 here in Sydney when we move the clock an hour back  and I remember seeing a similar issue happened on  2nd October 2016 when we moved forward one hour

I know this is quite a unique scenario/issue ..but just wanted to check if anyone else have come across this problem 

• 2.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Apr 04, 2017 11:10 AM

Hi Phani,

Looking at the schedule, it seems to be repeat every 24 hours. it should have worked as per the expectation, but i think there may be clock synchronization issue during the day light saving change. is your nimsoft/uim environment in the same time zone. Please go through the below check point to see if it's similar to your situation.

To ensure that maintenance schedules start and stop at the intended times, the system clocks on the
    following servers must be synchronized:
    UIM Server system (primary hub, this included the maintenance_mode probe)
    Database server
    nas server(s)
    UMP server(s)
    Out-of-synch clocks can result in erroneous or missing alarms. For example, suppose the clock on the
    UMP server is 30 minutes ahead of the NAS server. You place your web server in a maintenance
    schedule that goes from 9:00 to 11:00.
    At 9:00, you take the web server offline for maintenance. Because the NAS server’s time is 8:30, it
    does not suppress alarms at the anticipated time.
    At 11:00, you bring the web server back online. However, because the NAS server’s time is 10:30,
    it will suppress alarms for another 30 minutes.

Regards

Hitesh Sehgal

• 3.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Apr 04, 2017 07:30 PM

hiteshsehgal

The servers are pretty much in the same timezone and data data centre . The clocks are also in sync

I see this happening on only a specific day when the time changes and for maintenance schedules which cover the 24 hour cycle (ie., a schedule which stretches a day before and day after ) 

• 4.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 03:05 AM

Hello Phani, I have searched for similar problems reported to us in our knowledgebase and did not see anything similar. I would suggest to raise a support case for it that we can look into this.

Thanks and kind regards,

Britta Hoffner

• 5.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Apr 05, 2017 03:13 AM

Sure, thanks ...I understand its quite a rare scenario 

• 6.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Apr 05, 2017 05:15 PM

^+1 YES! We just had this same issue happen after the DST and had to re-adjust our maintenance schedules. We were getting alerts on boxes when they fell w/in the maint period but should not have been. 

• 7.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Apr 05, 2017 06:59 PM

Thanks DanielBlanco

Good to know that I am not the only one who has seen this issue 

• 8.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Jan 12, 2018 09:58 AM

Hi Phani/All,

Have you got the resolution for your issue. If yes, kindly share. I am facimg exactly same issue in my prod infra. Have raised a case with CA as well but not sure when they will respond.

• 9.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 12, 2018 01:12 PM

This is a 2 part issue - there is a problem in the UMP USM portlet as well as the maintenance_mode probe.  There are fixes available for UIM 8.51 SP1.  The UMP USM hot fix (ump_usm_8.5.2_H11.zip) is available from the CA UIM Support Hot Fix site:

https://support.ca.com/us/product-content/recommended-reading/technical-document-index/ca-unified-infrastructure-management-hotfix-index.html#%2FPADzrx1TxKBB3vZ7.97

Unfortunately, the corresponding maintenance_mode probe hot fix has not been posted to this site yet.  You would have to open a case to get this fix (or if you have the problem with on older UIM release).

Hope this helps.

• 10.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Jan 13, 2018 05:10 AM

Thanks Kathryn for the reasponse. wE HAVE UIM 8.5 . I have raised a raised a case with CA already with priority 2 still don't have any response.

• 11.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 15, 2018 01:29 AM

Hello Vidyullata, can you share the case number so we can check the status ?

KInd regards,

Britta Hoffner

• 12.  Re: UIM maintenance mode logic fails during daylight savings change and generates alerts

Posted Feb 28, 2018 05:43 PM

In case anyone needs it, CA seems to have fixed the DST issue in the new release of maintenance_mode probe.Our DST change here kicks in on 1 Apr , so have to wait till then to see if the issue is actually resolved 

maintenance_mode Release Notes - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation