DX NetOps

• 1.  How do I attribute a certain system object ID to a device type?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 06:02 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a device (Cisco APIC) which is based on a Cisco UCS server. The sysID doesn't map it to Cisco UCS though, but rather a model that doesn't have interfaces. I would like to map it accordingly so that I can see its interfaces etc.

I'm using Spectrum 10.2.

Any idea how to do this manually? I tried Device Certification (model it as CiscoUCSChassis) but for it falls back to the other device which doesn't have interfaces modelled. I don't mind it being modelled as CiscoAPIC but it's ridiculous that I can't see the status of its interfaces for fault monitoring. 

Thanks

• 2.  Re: How do I attribute a certain system object ID to a device type?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 10:18 AM

Hello,

You have two options you can change the mapping of the sysOID of the device, the simpler method

Device Mappings - CA Spectrum - 10.2 and 10.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

or you can develop a new certification to that model:

Developing a New Certification - CA Spectrum - 10.2 and 10.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

I recomend a previous study if you whant the seccond method because it change the Spectrum models database and require to stop the Spectrum Server, about change the sysOID that is not possible because that attribute came from your device.

• 3.  Re: How do I attribute a certain system object ID to a device type?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 11:39 AM

Hi Renato,

I meant associate the sysOID to a different device type such as UCS rather than CiscoAPIC, although I concede that may not be the proper solution.

Changing device certifications hasn't helped with my specific issue since the interfaces aren't being modelled for the APIC. This is odd, since this is a rebranded UCS server which has interfaces for both the fabric and OOB. 

Any ideas why this is?

• 4.  Re: How do I attribute a certain system object ID to a device type?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 04, 2017 01:16 PM

As a test, try model by type and select the specific model type to use for the management the device. See if the interface models are created. If not, then I suspect an issue with the interfaces and/or ifMib on the device.

Launch MIB Tools and query the interfaces and ifMib mibs. do you get results?

Joe

• 5.  Re: How do I attribute a certain system object ID to a device type?

Posted Apr 04, 2017 02:37 PM

Thanks for the tip,

I used MIB Tools and it isn't mapping anything for IF-MIB. According to:

Cisco ACI MIB Support List - Cisco 

IF-MIB isn't supported. I suppose there isn't much that can be done unless Cisco exposes more of the platform to SNMP