Hello everyone, I am currently working in a POC of AXA with a client's webapplications. In the overall the integration is running ok but I have some pages that never finish loading. When we navigate to the Errors tab, and drill down to a specific http error to see the sessions that involve the error the page never finishes loading.
I have tested from different networks but the problem persists.
I tested from networks without firewall or any other sort of restriction.
I have waited for long periods to see if it finishes loading but it doesn't.
I can't create support cases because for some reason I don't see AXA under the products categories, we have talked to our partner representative but we don't have a response.
The integration is default it was done by adding the default snippet to the web application file.