CA Service Management

• 1.  Configuring secondary server-Conventional Configuration

Posted Apr 06, 2017 08:13 AM

Hi Team,

We are on r14.1 and we have completed installation in the conventional configuration mode.

We have separate server for the mobility feature, for which we need to install the CA SDM as a secondary server. Can some1 please guide on how to add new secondary server.

As of now we have followed below steps:

1. Installed the Primary SD Server

2. Added the secondary server entry in the Server list from the Primary Server URL.

3. Installed the Secondary Server.

4. Added new configuration for the Primary server, wherein we added domsrvr/webengine pair for the secondary server.

(Refer How to set up a Service Desk Manager secondary server using the Administrator Web Interface? )

5. Ran pdm_configure on the primary server and selected above configuration name.

I have few queries as below:

1. When web.url is entered on the secondary server, which SD URL should open ( as of now its opening the Primary server's URL)

2. Does WSP work on secondary server? (as of now it is working)

3. If WSP works on secondary and if I'm doing Publish for the htmpl files, will it get reflected in the primary server? (In AA environment, if done from BG Server it replicates the changes on the rest of the application servers..do we have similar functionality in Conventional mode as well?)

Thanks 

• 2.  Re: Configuring secondary server-Conventional Configuration

Posted Apr 06, 2017 09:10 AM

Hi Pushpith - here are some answers:

1. When web.url is entered on the secondary server, which SD URL should open ( as of now its opening the Primary server's URL)

ANSWER:  This is normal expected behavior.  We would recommend actually hitting the URL for that box specifically.

2. Does WSP work on secondary server? (as of now it is working)

ANSWER:  WSP should load on the secondary without an issue (i just tested it on a secondary here and it works), however, its not recommended to use it there.  You would want to make any form or schema changes on the primary server so that version control will push those changes to the secondary servers.  Additionally, schema changes require pdm_publish which can only be done on the primary server.

3. If WSP works on secondary and if I'm doing Publish for the htmpl files, will it get reflected in the primary server? (In AA environment, if done from BG Server it replicates the changes on the rest of the application servers..do we have similar functionality in Conventional mode as well?)

ANSWER:  See above - No, it is not expected.  In AA environment, you make changes on the BG server only which pushes to the app servers.  In conventional the primary is the equivalent of the BG server, and thus all changes need to be done on the primary server which will push it to the secondary servers.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: Configuring secondary server-Conventional Configuration

Posted Apr 10, 2017 09:13 AM

Thanks a lot of the reply!!

For the 1st point, I have added a domsrvr/webengine pair in the System->configuration node and ran pdm_configure on the primary server,selecting the above configuration name. Now, when I open the secondary server's page, it opens properly & displays the login page.