Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Date & Duration Mismatch in Clarity & MSP Opened schedule

• 1.  Date & Duration Mismatch in Clarity & MSP Opened schedule

Posted Apr 06, 2017 11:03 PM

I see a lot of difference in the dates of clarity tasks & MSP tasks & duration

I reviewed both the tools & conclude my analysis as described below-  See attached screenshots

• Watch the Activity ID-3 in MSP  “EPM”

In MSP  start is  7/1/ 2016  and End is 4/5/17

In Clarity start is  1/1 2017  and End is 9/30/17

As per my analysis, clarity is taking the dates as per the resource assignment avalibility. As this activity is not having any constraint & Resources so it’s taking the date of all the parent/sibling activity resources earliest start date availability.

• Watch the Activity ID-4 in MSP  “Software Business & Release Engineer”

In MSP  start is  3/1/ 2017  and End is 1/25/18    Duration 225 Days

In Clarity start is  3/1 2017  and End is 1/29/17    Duration 229 Days  ( Having Duration 4 days More)

As per my analysis, clarity is taking the dates as per the resource assignment avalibility. As this activity is having One Resources assigned from 3/1/2017 to 1/29/2017 so it’s taking the dates as per the resource assigment so automatically pospond it’s finish date  by 4 days to Finish at 1/29/17.

• Watch the Activity ID-7 in MSP  “AR - Agile Scrum Design/Develop (Build)”

In MSP  start is  3/1/ 2017  and End is 5/4/17   Duration 46 Days

In Clarity start is  3/1/2017  and End is 4/3/17    Duration 24 Days  ( Having Duration 22 days Less)

As per my analysis, clarity is taking the dates as per the resource assignment avalibility. As this activity is having Multiple Resources assigned from earliest start from 3/1/2017 to latest finish 4/3/2017 so it’s taking the dates as per the resource assigment so automatically Prepond it’s finish date  by 22 days to Finish at 4/3/17.

For each activity there is the different analysis but in all, there is the factor of resource allocation in date/duration change.

So As per my analysis, Clarity is moving the dates & duration as per the resource assignment & might be doing the resource leveling & changing the dates which is scheduled in MSP. So all the mismatch is coming when opening any schedule in MSP from clarity. 

Any thoughts!!!!

Thanks

-Venkitta

• 2.  Re: Date & Duration Mismatch in Clarity & MSP Opened schedule

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2017 05:08 PM

You state correctly that MSP schedules the dates with the information provided from CA PPM (Clarity). However, the algorithm used to perform the scheduling has many variables which are not included in the data above. Some of these are:

• Task Type
    • Effort Driven
    • Predecessors/Successors and Leads/Lags
    • Resource Availability (Allocation) Segments
    • Resource Assignment Units
    • Resource Assignment Dates
    • Resource Assignment Remaining Work
    • Resource Assignment Actual Work
    • Resource Calendars
    • Project Scheduling from (Project Start Date/Project Finish Date)
    • Status Date
    • Task Priority
    • Task Assignment Delay
    • Task Mode (Auto Scheduled/Manually Scheduled)
    • Task Assignment Work Contour

In addition to the variables listed above, the version and patch level of CA PPM (Clarity), the version and update level of MSP, and which Schedule Connect (Legacy/XML) you are using will have impacts to the scheduling.

CA PPM (Clarity) is not moving the dates - MSP is scheduling and changing dates based on the information provided from CA PPM (Clarity) and the scheduling algorithm in MSP.

• 3.  Re: Date & Duration Mismatch in Clarity & MSP Opened schedule

Posted Apr 18, 2017 03:07 AM

Thanks Janet.  This helps.