Service Virtualization

• 1.  Docker: ED hostname not resolved in Registry container

Posted Apr 14, 2017 05:48 AM

Hi,

We are using Docker-compose to deploy DevTest Components: ED, Registry and VSE running as services in separate containers.

Dashboard host is defined in site.properties of Registry, but it cannot connect to ED using ED service name or hostname or container name (defined in docker-compose).

However, when connected to Registry container: ED service or container name can be resolved with a ping ...

So how DevTest Registry use "devtest.enterprisedashboard.host" property to  connect to ED ?    

Using IP@ of ED container, as host, works well (but of course it is not predictable)

Any clue is welcomed.

• 2.  Re: Docker: ED hostname not resolved in Registry container
    Best Answer

Posted May 08, 2017 07:26 PM

Hi,

The devtest.enterprisedashboard.host should be a name of a server that is resolvable on your network.   I have used dockers a bit,  but I have not looked at dockers-compose.    I would suggest opening a support ticket and ask for the ticket be assigned to Joe,  and I can take a look at this with you in more detail.   Im suprised that its not picking up the name to resolve,  so I am curious about the problem you are running into.

• 3.  Re: Docker: ED hostname not resolved in Registry container

Posted May 09, 2017 05:20 AM

Hi Joe,

Thanks, I will do so and open a ticket.

• 4.  Re: Docker: ED hostname not resolved in Registry container

Posted Nov 19, 2017 10:09 AM

when u start the registry docker instance, you can pass the name/ip address of the ED to update the container hosts file before the DT code starts.  that way the DT config file uses name, but u can adjust it ..  ED BACK to the registry container MUST BE IP address only  as u can't modify the ED hosts file on the fly. (if in container)

see the docker run --add-host (list) ie ip:name,ip2:name2,ip3:name3

• 5.  Re: Docker: ED hostname not resolved in Registry container

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 30, 2018 09:37 AM

Hi. I am researching how we can improve our CA Service Virtualization (DevTest's) Docker implementation and would love your feedback so that we can understand your needs.  I started a discussion thread entitled Feedback on How to Improve SV's Docker Solution.

In this post, I have requested your help to take a 5 minute survey in order to gather your feedback.  

Thank you for your help!

Beverly Mindle

Senior Product Manager