CA Service Management

• 1.  swing box approach

Posted Apr 18, 2017 03:38 AM

Hi Team,

We are using Swingbox approach to upgrade from r12.6 to r14.1 system. We have the following environments:

1.) Swingbox(SB) Env
    1 Primary Application Server
    1 dB server

2.) Production Env
    1 Primary Server
    2 Secondary server ( for Mobility & XFlow Interface respectively)
    1 Boxi Server
    1 dB server

In production env we have already installed vanilla r14.1. So as per our plan, post upgrading the to r14.1 in SB, we'll upgrade the SQL to latest version as well, then move this mdb to the production environment. I have below queries:

1. We'll install the latest SDM patches in the production environment-
    So what should be the approach be, to install the r14.1.03 patch.
    Since we have separate servers for Xflow analyst, can we install only the required features of 14.1.03 in Primary server & mobility?
    Do we have to install 14.1.03.2 patch in all the servers or just the xFlow server.

• 2.  Re: swing box approach

Posted Apr 18, 2017 11:16 AM

Hi Pushpith,

What I would recommend is first testing this all out doing a full test run of the upgrade/migration/patching process etc.   If you are not planning to put Xflow on the Swing Box environment, then you dont need to install CP3 there, but rather you would do that after you move the upgraded/migrated DB over to the new production environment. Now as for the patches specific to Xflow, you would only need to install those on servers where Xflow is installed, however I would recommend installing it on all servers just for the purpose of consistency.

Hope this helps,
    Thanks,

Jon I.

• 3.  Re: swing box approach

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2017 04:21 PM

To clarify, the xFlow specific cumulatives can only be installed on servers that have xFlow installed on them. You may want to consider installing multiple xFlow servers for load balancing, but you actually wouldn't be able to apply the xFlow cumulative patches on a system that didn't have xFlow installed.