DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Application Discovery using UIM 8.5.1

Posted Apr 18, 2017 03:21 PM

Has anyone used a New Feature called Application Discovery in UIM 8.5.1? I am curious to see if its working for anyone out there who are running 8.5.1. In my case it did not work from the get go and its giving me following error about nis_server

An unknown error has occurred.
    Refreshing your browser may resolve the issue.

Details:
    com.firehunter.ump.exceptions.DataFactoryException : Received status (4) on response (for sendRcv) for cmd = 'nametoip' name = 'nis_server'
    Please check the log for more information.
    Stack Trace:
    (4) not found, Received status (4) on response (for sendRcv) for cmd = 'nametoip' name = 'nis_server'
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.NimSessionBase.sendRcv(NimSessionBase.java:610)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.NimSessionBase.sendRcv(NimSessionBase.java:561)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.NimSessionBase.getHostAndPortForName(NimSessionBase.java:426)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.NimNamedClientSession.<init>(NimNamedClientSession.java:28)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.NimObjectSender.connectNamed(NimObjectSender.java:78)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.NimRequest.sendImpersonate(NimRequest.java:252)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.pool.NimRequestPool.sendImpersonate(NimRequestPool.java:92)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.pool.NimRequestPool.sendImpersonate(NimRequestPool.java:74)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.pool.NimRequestPool.send(NimRequestPool.java:66)
    at com.nimsoft.nimbus.pool.NimRequestPoolInstance.send(NimRequestPoolInstance.java:181)
    at com.firehunter.umpportlet.PDSUtils.send(PDSUtils.java:65)
    at com.firehunter.usm.DataFactory.updatePreconfiguredGroups(DataFactory.java:5014)
    at com.firehunter.usm.DataFactory.updatePreconfiguredGroups(DataFactory.java:4996)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
    at flex.messaging.services.remoting.adapters.JavaAdapter.invoke(JavaAdapter.java:421)
    at flex.messaging.services.RemotingService.serviceMessage(RemotingService.java:183)

All the probes version are at the latest version as mentioned in the documentation. 

Thanks,

Chintan

• 2.  Re: Application Discovery using UIM 8.5.1

Posted Apr 19, 2017 09:36 AM

Hi Chintan,

Thanks for your comment.

I did have started using Application Discovery and so far so good. I would encourage you to check the following link (in case you have not already done so) and go through all the steps, paying special attention to the requirements (like robot 7.9x, which does not come by default with CA UIM 8.51):

Use Application Discovery - CA Unified Infrastructure Management - 8.5.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Also, the problem you are referring to usually happens when there is some sort of communication issue with the probe being mentioned in the error, in this case, with nis_server. You could check the status of the same by checking the probe itself (is it in green, red, yellow?, does it have a port and pid?) and by doing "ctrl + p" on the controller to bring up the probe utility and run the "nametoip" callback. To run it, you would need to enter "nis_server" and click on the green arrow button.

If once the above has already been taken care of the problem is still there, you might want to open a support case so we can start with the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Balta.

• 3.  Re: Application Discovery using UIM 8.5.1

Posted Apr 19, 2017 09:47 AM

Thanks Balta for your response,

Every single probes on Primary HUB and its version has been verified numerous times and I did make sure instructions are followed. Just did nametoip from primary hub and it did return the port and ip. Unfortunately, I went down the support route but was not able to get anywhere.  Other thing to notice was when the upgrade was done, attribute plugin did not even install the custom batch scripts, it was after the installation and support send me those files from their environment. 

Curious to know, was the environment that you are working, is a fresh start with 8.5.1 or it was an upgrade from prior version? If it was upgrade did the installation was successful and loaded every single scripts in the right place where it was suppose to be? 

In my case upgrade from 8.4.7 to 8.5.1 was successful but this new feature never works for me and to be very honest with you, I am not sure how to resolve this error. 

Thanks,

Chintan Rami

• 4.  Re: Application Discovery using UIM 8.5.1

Posted Apr 20, 2017 08:32 AM

Hello,

It seems a few people are having the same issue. I would suggest opening a support case. Below are the steps taken to resolve.

1. Stop the 2 wasps and the nis_server
    2. In the IM archive delete any version of package for NIS_SERVER
    3. From the uimserverpackages.zip containing the 8.5.1 packages drag and drop the nis_server probe to the IM archive.
    4. Redeploy the nis_probe on the UIM server
    5. deploy the latest ump_usm
    6. redeploy wasp probe
    7. restart the nis_server
    8. restart the primary wasp > Test this issue again.

Since these steps are major changes to be made I would again suggest opening a support case to take these steps together.

Thanks

• 5.  Re: Application Discovery using UIM 8.5.1

Posted Dec 19, 2017 11:17 AM

Hello,

Please ensure that nis_server key is present in wasp probe (ump_common section) with the CA UIM bus address of the probe

Guillaume