DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 20, 2017 02:22 PM

I am able to use the snmptd probe and open the Trap Monitoir and hit the green play button and start to see the different traps the sever is picking up from listening on port 162. However we have a Cisco Prime Infrastructure utility that we have setup to send traps so we can take them and alert off of them in UIM. When I open the trap monitor I see all kinds of traps coming in and being picked up but none from the hostname or IP of my Cisco Prime. Why is that? 

• 2.  Re: Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 20, 2017 03:50 PM

Hi Robert!

I Would recommend you to open a CA Support ticket to figure out the root cause of this behavior and get more details!

• 3.  Re: Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 20, 2017 05:13 PM

if there is ipv6 then snmptd 3.25 is needed.

figuring a new mib is needed, do the traps for the mib show up in the probe's mib trap browser?

if no the mib has not been properly added, increase log level for the reason why

if yes then install wireshark on the robot with snmptd

start a packet capture

have the device send the traps

stop the capture and add a filter

ip.addr eq xx.xx.xx.xx  replacing the xxs with the ip address of the device sending the traps

• 4.  Re: Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 20, 2017 07:57 PM

Verify if the existing Community string set in snmptd matches to the one used by Cisco Prime when sending the traps .

• 5.  Re: Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 21, 2017 07:00 AM

David - I went and had to add the Cisco-Wireless-Notifcaiton-MIb to the MIB directory, than opened the probe and used the MIB Trap Browser and the drop down to choose that Cisco-Wireless-Notifcaiton-MIb module. From there it displays the tram name ciscoWirelessMOStatusNotification I right clicked on that and created a profile for the MIB see picture below:

Once I did that the Trap now shows up in my list when I open the SNMPTD probe.

Phani - As far as the community in Cisco Prime we are using snmpv2c and the community we are using is public(See pic Below). Also Below you will see the Cisco Prime settings, IP and Server name are blacked out but they are correct, and are the info of the server that houses the snmptd probe.

Now I have Cisco prime to send all information and all severity right now so it will send as much as possible so I can test. When I open the SNMP Trap Monitor and start it I get traps from different communities that I have inputted and even some from the public community but none from the Prime Server on the public community. The same results with Wireshark I don't get any traps from the host name or ip of the prime server.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give everyone enough information and visuals in case I have missed something. Thanks all for the help so far.

• 6.  Re: Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 21, 2017 08:35 AM

I am still having the same problem I am not seeing any of the traps, I just posted the above so everyone had context in the troubleshooting I have done. Not sure why this was marked as a correct answer but I unmarked it.

• 7.  Re: Why does my snmptd probe see traps but none from my Cisco Prime Infastrecture?

Posted Apr 21, 2017 09:27 AM

Robert,

The wireshark pcap is our proof that the traps are not making it from the cisco device to the snmptd robot. Now the question is why, and for that it is, time to engage your network team. Tell them there is this cisco device sending traps and the pcap shows not traffic from it is reaching this other system.

david