Clarity

• 1.  How to disable multilingual support for CA PPM or cleanup CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table?

Posted Apr 24, 2017 03:31 AM

Hi Friends,

Is there any supported way to disable multilingual support for CA PPM tool in case we just need only English language? 

For example, when we look at our CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table, out of the 20498951 total number of records only 1033114 are the ones with language_code='en' which is just about 5% of the total number of records in this table. If we are sure that we don't want to see any other language in the CA PPM tool, is it safe to cleanup the CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table by issuing the below command (ofcourse in many delete batches) ?

delete from CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS where language_code<>'en' 

Will this cleanup break any CA PPM stock/custom functionality like XOG? Has anyone tried this before? And what can we do to stop further generation of Non-English records in the CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table even after the above one-time cleanup? Any suggestions/warnings/ideas?

Regards,

Georgy

• 2.  Re: How to disable multilingual support for CA PPM or cleanup CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table?

Posted Apr 24, 2017 04:04 AM

Why would you want delete these entries? 

Are there performance issues?

Normally you don't have to worry about these additional records due to the fact there are multiple indexes defined on this specific table regarding the language_code field.

• 3.  Re: How to disable multilingual support for CA PPM or cleanup CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 24, 2017 01:30 PM

Hi Georgy,

There is no supported way to delete the captions for other languages from the tables. If you this, it will very likely break views and language labels. I strongly discourage you from deleting them as it will make your environment unsupported.

Please let me know why is the amount of records in the table an issue. You do not have such a big amount of records compared to other large customers that I know had no issues within CA PPM.

I would recommend you as well to raise an idea to be able to disable multilingual support in CA PPM.

Thank you -Nika

• 4.  Re: How to disable multilingual support for CA PPM or cleanup CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table?

Posted Apr 25, 2017 01:24 AM

Hi Nika_Hadzhikidi,

Thanks a lot for your valuable comment. So that means trying the above cleanup can be very risky. Point noted 

Yes, you are right. It is not because of any performance issues but I feel it completely unnecessary for some CA PPM customers to store the remaining 95% of records in this CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table taking up huge DB space when it is completely unwanted. So this option will be a real help to those customers.

As you suggested, I have raised the idea as well - Option to disable Multilingual Support for CA PPM  

Thank You,

Georgy

• 5.  Re: How to disable multilingual support for CA PPM or cleanup CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table?

Posted Oct 18, 2018 07:52 AM

It would also be useful for XOG export / import : translations represent a large amount of the size of the files (view, object, menu, etc). I have already tried to inactivate languages in cmn_languages, but it doesn't do anything... The idea would be to just take into account the column cmn_languages.is_active ?

Personally, I transform my XOG exports to keep only languages en and fr.

Benefits :

- The comparison between XOG files is easier (there is no order by on attribute language_code)

- On the target environment, the import can be a lot quicker

Regards,

David

• 6.  Re: How to disable multilingual support for CA PPM or cleanup CMN_CAPTIONS_NLS table?

Posted Oct 19, 2018 08:23 AM
      |   view attached

On the same matter.

Has anyone tried to analyze orphan records on table cmn_caption_nls ?

On a version 15.5.0.225, I count nearly 25% of the captions which are useless : pk_id does not exist anymore on target table.

Specific Tables names :

- BPM_DEF_STEP_CONDITION_NOTES : Shouldn't exist ? Feature to add notes on Process Step Conditions ? 

- ODF_CLASS : Shouldn't exist anymore (since 13.2 or 13.3, don't remember).

- CMN_BROWSE_SINGLE_SELECT : Source table is cmn_lov_objects (Lookup pop-up select unitary)

- CMN_BROWSE_MULTI_SELECT : Source table is cmn_lov_objects (Lookup pop-up select multi)

- ODF_VIEW_ATTRIBUTES_DESC, %_INSTR, %_TIP : Source table is odf_view_attributes (View attribute properties)

The other table names exist on schema.

Find attached the query that I'm using, for any contribution.

I will test to delete them and see if there is any side effect.

--Update--

Side effect on CMN_PARTITIONS, System Partition NIKU.ROOT is not recorded in table cmn_partitions. ID -1 is hard-coded in SQL queries  There is also CMN_PORTLETS with pk_id -1 whose description is "Resource Capacity Demand by Role - view the capacity and demand by role of resources, and analyze impact on capacity and demand if fte's or hours were increased or decreased." But so far, no side effect if I delete it.

--End Update--

Regards,

David

Attachment(s)