Clarity

• 1.  Inactive project/idea time posting

Posted Apr 27, 2017 08:51 AM

If a project or idea is made inactive after timesheets have been populated will hours post against the project or idea?  I know the costs will not post and cause an invalid transaction, but not sure about the hours.

• 2.  Re: Inactive project/idea time posting

Posted Apr 27, 2017 09:12 AM

Hello,

I am not able to understand when you say making a Project inactive. Does it mean closing it or marking it for deletion? I believe that if a Project has Actuals within it, it cannot be deleted from the CA PPM tool. And, any Actual Hours entered on it or its Tasks will definitely be Posted after they have been Submitted and Approved. Have you made any customization's to make the Project inactive instead of deleting it from the UI?

Suhail.

• 3.  Re: Inactive project/idea time posting

Posted Apr 27, 2017 09:21 AM

We are not marking the project for deletion, but only closing it.  I am trying to determine if hours on timesheets that have been populated prior to the project being made inactive will post when time posting is done.  We normally check for pending actuals prior to inactivating the project, but there is concern that things may fall through the cracks.

Art

• 4.  Re: Inactive project/idea time posting

Posted Apr 27, 2017 09:34 AM

Hello Art,

As long as the Project/Task is open for time entry and it has been selected by the user to fill in his or her Timesheet on the CA PPM tool, the hours should get Posted after the Timesheet gets Submitted by the user and Approved by the Project Manager. So, prior to making the Project inactive or closed, if the Project/Task was selected within the Timesheet by the user and the Timesheet was Submitted, and before it gets Approved, if the Project gets inactive or closed, the Timesheet will still be available for Approval, and once it has been Approved, it will then get Posted. However, once the Project has been made inactive or closed and the Project/Task has been closed for time entry, the user will not be able to fill in time on this Project or Task. Hope this helps!

Suhail.

• 5.  Re: Inactive project/idea time posting

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 27, 2017 08:02 PM

Hi Art,

I assume the response from Suhail has answered your question. Just thought of  pointing out a catch in the application design when marking the project closed - To mark a project as inactive, you will have to place the financial status of the project as CLOSED or ON HOLD. If the timesheet is not posted yet and if you have placed the project as inactive,  the post timesheet will still process the timesheet and show it as posted but ideally the timesheet records will not move to the invalid transaction list. PRTIMEENTRY.PRRMEXPORTED will still remain as 0. 

This tec doc should help in identifying those records which are stuck in the timesheet table but shows as posted.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec1149227.aspx

Regarding this question from you - I know the costs will not post and cause an invalid transaction, but not sure about the hours.

It all depends on where you are checking for the cost and hours - If you are checking in assignments(task page), then once the timesheet is posted, the assignments will be updated with the cost and hours. But if you are looking at the WIP tables, then neither cost nor hours will show up unless you run all the required jobs and post it to wip. 

Thanks,

Jerin