Clarity

• 1.  Jaspersoft false max page error

Posted Apr 27, 2017 01:35 PM

14.2, on premise.

• User received max page error when attempting to run report in Jaspersoft. 
    • Limit is set to 1000
    • Ran parameters in Crystal version of report - about 250 pages
    • Re-ran parameters in Jaspersoft - worked this time, about 250 pages
    • Obtained parameters used for report from error log - parameters used were same - user error not root cause

Thankful that report is now working, but don't have explanation for false max page error.

Has anyone seen this before?  If yes, did you find root cause, correction?  Did upgrading to 15.2 and JS 6.2 eliminate issue?

Not able to replicate.  Not liking unexplained solutions, hoping others have seen this and have an explanation.

Dale

• 2.  Re: Jaspersoft false max page error

Posted May 04, 2017 05:41 AM

Hi Dale,

You might find my suggestion to be funny but same thing was reported by my client and I was not able to reproduce but then one fine day I actually find out what it was

Basically whoever is running the report is not selecting the filter properly for that report in Jaspersoft. By this what I meant is for every jasper report you have a filter section where you have available and selected, so the problem is when the user is selecting something from available he / she is thinking it is already selected and running the report but since without that filter the limit is getting exceeded you are getting this error

Basically this is not a false error but mostly it is a mistake in verification of the filter before running the report

If this resolves your issue please mark my reply as answered

Regards\\Avik

• 3.  Re: Jaspersoft false max page error

Posted May 08, 2017 10:32 AM

We are getting this too. We really do have some users who, in 14.2 Crytsal report, run a 2k page report. In Jaspersoft, it exceeded even the 5000 limit (we increased ours with CA's ok and caution).  We run it ourselves and get it too, so I know the parameters are selected correctly.

did you ever find anything else out about this? We can reproduce it each time.

• 4.  Re: Jaspersoft false max page error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2017 10:42 AM

We shouldn't compare Crystal and Jaspersoft reports, the way both product renders its totally different. 

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 5.  Re: Jaspersoft false max page error

Posted May 08, 2017 12:05 PM

to an end user it does not matter  (Bus object, crystal, Jaspersoft).. if I run a report in 14.2 (non Jaspersoft) and it renders 2000 pages, and I run the exact same report, with the exact same parameters in a Jaspersoft 15.1, the results should be the same.  I think that is the meaning of this post: Jaspersoft is doing something that is incorrect (or appears to be) and is throwing that error. How are the users supposed to run their reports if Jaspersoft is throwing these errors?

If Jaspersoft  renders reports completely differently from a page count perspective, then that is an issue.

• 6.  Re: Jaspersoft false max page error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2017 03:54 AM

Hi Lynn,

I agree from end user it doesn't matter but from technical perspective every tool is designed in a way and have some advantages and disadvantages. To the point of error before even it goes to users, the report designer should test the report and its use cases.

Rendering differently cannot be called an issue in my opinion though.

Regards

Suman Pramanik 

• 7.  Re: Jaspersoft false max page error

Posted Jun 08, 2017 01:19 PM

following up on this original topic. We had to remove limits completely since Jaspersoft could not appropriately handle large reports .

We will know if there are any impacts (users always schedule these large reports), once other Japsersoft issues are stabilized.