Rally Software

• 1.  Mass move of unfinished user stories

Posted Apr 27, 2017 04:21 PM

When a sprint finishes, sometimes there are stories which are not finished. How can I move these unfinished stories to the next sprint without changing my velocity? Currently, I go one-by-one through each unfinished story and change the assigned iteration to the next sprint. However, there are two issues with this.

1.        This is incredibly manual and time consuming. Can I do this in bulk?
    2.        When I change the iteration on a user story, the points are no longer counted in the iteration statistics. This is wrong – my velocity and burndown chart should reflect both the finished and unfinished work.

• 2.  Re: Mass move of unfinished user stories
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 28, 2017 02:38 PM

Bulk edit can be done from the List View on the Iteration Status page.  For the second question, it's a personal preference, but I see Velocity as how much value the team delivers per sprint, not the work that the team did during the sprint.  Therefore, I recommend that stories are simply rolled over to the next sprint, with all of its points.

• 3.  Re: Mass move of unfinished user stories

Posted Apr 28, 2017 09:41 PM

Sounds good.  Thanks and you may close this ticket.

Best Regards…Gary

Gary Sultan  |  Sr. Technical Analyst | Portfolio Governance Services

phone +1 763 614 1430  |  mobile +1 651 247 8661 | gsultan@carlsonwagonlit.com<mailto:gsultan@carlsonwagonlit.com>

A Product and Technology (P&T) Value:

Connect and Collaborate internally and externally, we give before we take.