Clarity

• 1.  How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted Apr 29, 2017 07:20 AM

Hello, I have a requirement to update the project start date to current date on creation if user enters any other dates. Currently i am handling this via updating inv_investment table. So is there any way to update it via xog? any sample xog script? Is there any issue on updating inv_investment table on project creation? 

• 2.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted Apr 30, 2017 02:59 PM

There is a sample script for XOGing in

https://communities.ca.com/thread/101796273?commentID=101805022#comment-101805022

There is a logic between the project  object and the task object among other things. Updating just inv_investment table only is likely to break that logic.

When you XOG in the project data to set the start date you would be better off to set the the start date of the first task as well as they are connected. If you have resources assigned and ETC applied that point it gets even more complicated, but still doable.

You would launch the process on create to change the start date so you would be XOGing a project which is already created and so you would only need minimum data for the xml file.

• 3.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 02, 2017 04:37 AM

Hello, 

On this Link -https://communities.ca.com/thread/101796273?commentID=101805022#comment-101805022

I am not able to find any sample xog script through which i can update Start date. could you please direct attach script here? Also i am updating Start date in inv_investment table on project creation script and that time no Tasks and resource allocations on projects so don't think it will cause any issue.

• 4.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 02, 2017 05:49 AM

I would not recommend updating the INV_INVESTMENTS table.There might be dependencies associated with this table.

As Urmas suggested write a process that will update the start date of a project using XOG.

• 5.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 02, 2017 02:45 PM

On this Link -https://communities.ca.com/thread/101796273?commentID=101805022#comment-101805022

you are not supposed to find any sample xog script through which i can update Start date.

What you are supposed to find is how do you create the xml file in a gel script.

Then you take a sample file from the XOG client eg. prj_projects_write.xml or prj_projects_baseline_create.xml

and strip the tags you do not need and fill the values for the required ones as is done in the script.

• 6.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 03, 2017 09:11 AM

urmas HCL-Gaurav.Gupta

Thanks for you feedback and now i have implemented the gel script to update Start date via XOG. But i am getting one issue like If Start date is locked then Update is not happening via Xog and Xog status is Successful and showing Updated records as 1 so not able to track whether updated or not? 

• 7.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 03, 2017 10:28 AM

Not knowing if you have solved the issue already one way to tackle that is to add a step before the step script.

That step could unlock the start field either always or possibly only when it is locked.

• 8.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 03, 2017 12:25 PM

Thanks Urmas for your comments. For Locking and Unlocking, i can add a step that you suggested. But my concern is why xog showing Success and updated records =1? I have captured only one case of locked Attribute where actual update is not happening but may be some other cases where xog showing status as Success and updated records =1 but actual update on attribute will not happen.

• 9.  Re: How to Update Start date on project creation

Posted May 03, 2017 01:41 PM

The way I see it status Success means that the XOGing process was completed to the end without errors that would have stopped it. There may have been errors for data not found like association to OBS or user which was not consequently made. Updated records means that a matching record was found so it was not an insert of a new nor was it a failure.

However, that does not tell what exactly was updated if anything. It could be so that the user ID used in XOGing does not have the rights to write (edit or create) all data.

If you say so locked attributes could another thing which is not written when a matching instance is found and records are claimed to be updated. I think overwriting the name and ID with what is already there amounts as update as well.