DX NetOps

• 1.  Command Line Option

Posted May 01, 2017 12:51 PM
      |   view attached

I am having with Sprectro Server service stopping every now and then to where i need to reboot several servers in a processed order.

I want to use Microsoft Orchestrator to do the job but i don't see how to leverage the Stop & Start process when i don't see it in Control Panel\ADMINTools\Services. What is the command line needed to do this process with out the Sprectro Server Control Panel.

• 2.  Re: Command Line Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 09:08 AM

Hello,

This question was opened in the CA Automation Community which is primarily for the CA Server Automation product. Since this question is related to CA Spectrum I will transfer it to the appropriate community. 

Kind regards,

Gregg

• 3.  Re: Command Line Option

Posted May 02, 2017 09:25 AM

Thank you

• 4.  Re: Command Line Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 10:13 AM

Hi Dwayne,

You can use startSS.pl and stopSS.pl to start and stop the SpectroSERVER from the command line.

The scripts are located in $SPECROOT/bin and can be run from a bash shell, (bash -login from Windows).

Best regards,

Glenn

• 5.  Re: Command Line Option

Posted May 02, 2017 10:22 AM

There is a stopSS.pl and startSS.pl script in the $SPECROOT/bin that can be used.

• 6.  Re: Command Line Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 10:58 AM

As noted by Glenn and Matt the scripts will work -- another alternative is to configure it to stop the Spectrum Process Daemon Service.  When the processd service shuts down it automatically sends a signal to the SpectroSERVER process to gracefully shut down.  Just be mindful of your service timeout settings...

Cheers

Jay

• 7.  Re: Command Line Option

Posted May 02, 2017 11:07 AM

i am not that familiar with running .pl (pearl) scripts, do i just point to where the file is located and run it with .cmd? 

• 8.  Re: Command Line Option

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 11:35 AM

The scripts are meant to run from a bash shell.  To get into a bash shell from a Windows install you need to type:

bash -login

from a windows command prompt or from the start, windows, run line.

Once in a bash shell you will be in $SPECROOT

cd to bin and you will then be  in $SPECROOT/bin and from here you can run the scripts.

Best regards,

Glenn

• 9.  Re: Command Line Option

Posted May 02, 2017 11:56 AM

I am not using Unix nor Linux, I am working with MS Orchestrator in a windows environment and i need a way to stop the SprectroServer process reboot and restart the service. If there is a way i can do this without the Pearl script and use the actual running Service that would be great.

• 10.  Re: Command Line Option

Posted May 02, 2017 12:35 PM

The SpectroSERVER is controlled by processd. When processd shuts down, it will shutdown all the processes it controls. So when you reboot, the reboot shuts down processd which shuts down the SpectroSERVER. However, it may take time for the SpectroSERVER to shutdown. By default, the system waits 20 seconds for a service to shutdown before it kills it. This could cause the SpectroSERVER to be terminated instead of shutting down gracefully.

To prevent this, increase the WaitToKillServiceTimeout in the Windows registry. Reference the SpectroSERVER Shutdown Section Setting Up a Distributed SpectroSERVER Environment - CA Spectrum - 10.2 and 10.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

To have processd automatically start the SpectroSERVER and Archive Manager, reference knowledge document TEC170791 How to configure Spectrum to automatically start at system startup. 

Joe