DX NetOps

• 1.  Alert setup for non discoverable devices

Posted May 02, 2017 09:43 AM

Hi All,

We have legacy storage which cannot respond on snmp get command . So we need to discover and set up alert.

when I try to discover its discovering as pingable . I have loaded MIB as well and trap also receiving ,but when the trap receives spectrum identifying as unknown device

My requirement is , how can we convert those trap as alert since this device is not discoverable.

Thanks

Logan

• 2.  Re: Alert setup for non discoverable devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 10:20 AM

Hi Logan,

You need to enable trap processing for pingables by adding to the .vnmrc file of $SPECROOT/SS

enable_traps_for_pingables=true

In order to get an alarm on a pingable, you will need to make the pingable a significant model by changing the attribute value_when_red to 7, this way the pingable will turn red instead of blue.

Best regards,

Glenn

• 3.  Re: Alert setup for non discoverable devices

Posted May 04, 2017 11:51 AM

Hi Glenn,

could you elaborate on that parameter? We have a customer who is relying on traps from Pingable models for alarming. I just checked, trap-based alarms are generated, but this parameter is not set. As I understand the documentation, this is only necessary if you want to map traps from different source IPs to the same Pingable model (as you don't have IP Redundancy information as with SNMP-enabled models):

Configuring Fault Management for Pingables - CA Spectrum - 10.2 and 10.2.1 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Regards

Maik

• 4.  Re: Alert setup for non discoverable devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 10:24 AM

Hi Logan,

You can model the legacy storage as a pingable model. Spectrum can generate trap based events on the pingable model.

You have to either compile the MIB file and map the trap to event code or manually edit the AlertMap file.

You will get this event code when the trap is not mapped to event code:

0x10801 Event Code - Unknown alert received from device {m} of type {t}. Device Time {G 0x2302d0}. (Trap type {S 1})
    Trap var bind data: {S 2}

You will get this event code when the device/host is not modeled in Spectrum database:

0x10802 Event Code - Trap {S 3} directly received from unknown SNMP device with IP address {A 1} and SNMP community string '{S 4}'. Trap identifier {o 2}.
    Trap var bind data: {S 5}

Thanks,

Silvio

• 5.  Re: Alert setup for non discoverable devices

Posted May 02, 2017 11:23 AM

Thanks Silvio

I have created pingable model and MIB also loaded. So you mean to say whenever the event generated, the alert will be generated on the pingable model if it available in the alert map file?

Thanks

Logan

• 6.  Re: Alert setup for non discoverable devices
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 02, 2017 12:57 PM

Hi Logan,

An alarm will be generated depending on the Severity set for the Event Code.

If the Severity is None, no alarm will be generated.

If the Severity is Minor, a Minor alarm will be generated.

And so on...

Thanks,

Silvio