DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 03, 2017 06:26 AM

Hi all,

When i installed a robot on a server, it appears on my UMP portal, but i noticed the icon is different. When i click on details, it shows the Dedicated: VirtualMachine , and some extra fields like "computerName: Server01 and Virtualization: VMWare." Strange is i have other vmware windows hosts, but the rest didn't show fields like above, in fact the details shown were only Dedicated: Host  and the other regular fields. Also those hosts had the windows icon.

Wonder why is that so? Is there any way to change this? TIA!

• 2.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 03, 2017 07:52 PM

Try discovering the newly added robot using the discovery wizard and see if the information which you are looking for gets updated .

It usually picks up additional information during discovery 

• 3.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 04, 2017 07:44 AM

If you are using the vmware probe, install the vmware Tools at Each VM, rediscover, do the Nis cache clean on the robot and see if will help

• 4.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 07, 2017 11:04 PM

Hello.

This behavior is expected when the following conditions are met.

- You are running a Robot on a VM

- You are running vmware probe which is monitoring VMware Infrastructure in which the above VM is a part of.

If you don't have any interest / requirement in metrics for VM (from VMware Infrastructure point of view), please let me know so that I'll let you know a tip.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani

• 5.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 08, 2017 01:04 AM

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. But one thing i noticed, is that im not running vmware probe at the moment. And yes that is a VM which im running a robot on. Just curious why other robots which are also VMs do not have those additional details. Should i just reinstall all the other robots? or rerun the discovery for them?

• 6.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 08, 2017 01:36 AM

Just try rerunning the discovery and that should  fetch the addition information 

• 7.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 08, 2017 08:17 AM

do i need to remove them from inventory? i tried rediscover other servers but no additional information

• 8.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine

Posted May 08, 2017 07:08 PM

No, not needed to remove it from inventory ,just a rediscovery works on my side .

May be one difference could be that I also have vmware probe monitoring the Hosts , but I am not managing any of the VM's using the vmware probe and also have "show_vms = no " key set so that no vm's are discovered by the vmware probe 

Normally just rediscovery should work , try to verify if the rediscovery is running successfully and does not have any issues with the wmi credentials being used in the profile 

• 9.  Re: host discovered as a VirtualMachine
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 08, 2017 07:36 PM

If you are not running vmware probe, then some of your Robots might have not been discovered correctly through discovery_agent probe.

Please confirm WMI, SSH, or Telnet in Robot box to be accessible from discovery_agent probe prior to run device discovery.

ICMP only discovery (through discovery_agent probe) may not fetch computer details.

Regards,

Yu Ishitani