DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

• 1.  Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 01:04 PM

We have two UI servers and one 10.2 SpectroServer. We run SANM on the SS. I've noticed when I modify a custom event, the file gets changed on the UI server I am using but not on the SS or the second UI.

1) Should there be files in the /opt/CA/spectrum/custom/Events/CsEvFormat directory on the SS for SANM?

2) Should these files be automatically updated when edited using the Event Configuration utility on both UIs? On the SS?

3) Or should the files be manually copied to the SS when SANM is being used?

Thanks for the help

Rick

• 2.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 01:19 PM

When using the Event Configuration tool, if you create a new event or modify an existing event, in a Distributed SpectroSERVER (DSS) environment, you can specify which landscapes you wish to save the changes to. 

In a Fault Tolerant environment, if you save the changes to the primary, the changes are automatically saved to the secondary.

Changes will also automatically be saved to the OneClick system you were logged into when you launched the tool. If you have another OneClick system, you will have to manually copy the changes to it.

Joe

• 3.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 01:32 PM

Hi Joe,

So, in my case, one SS and two UIs, I guess that means I have to manually copy to both UI#2 and SS. Is that right?

If so, shouldn't this be something that would warrant an enhancement to automate it?

Regards,

Rick

• 4.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 02:43 PM

If the SS is not part of the DSS you are logged into then yes you will need to manually copy the changes to that SS. There is no way for the DSS to know about this SS outside of the DSS.

If the OC is not the OC you were logged into when you launched the Event Configuration tool, then yes you will need to manually copy the change to that OC. For this I would submit an enhancement request. 

Joe

• 5.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 02:53 PM

Hi Joe,

I'm confused by your term DSS. I have one SS and it runs SANM. It seems to me that the files don't get copied automatically to it. Is that a bug, misconfiguration, or normal? I'm thinking it must be the latter.

Regards,

Rick

• 6.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 03:27 PM

DSS is the Distributed SpectroSERVER environment. It encompasses all of the SpectroSERVERs (primary and secondary) in a single DSS. Basically, all of the SpectroSERVERs that point to the same Main Location Server (MLS). 

When using the Event Configuration tool, when saving changes, unless you specifically tell the tool not to save the change on a SpectroSERVER, the change should be saved on all SpectroSERVER systems in the DSS and the OneClick system you were logged into when you launched the tool.

If these changes are not saved onto a SpectroSERVER system in the DSS that you intended the changes to be saved then that is a bug.

Joe

• 7.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 03:59 PM

Hi Joe,

The EventDisp file on the SS gets updated when something is changed using the Event Config tool. But it seems it's not smart enough to realize there is a SANM there. The files in CsEvFormat and CsPCause don't change on the SS.

[spectrum@ncc340 Events]$ pwd
    /opt/CA/spectrum/custom/Events
    [spectrum@ncc340 Events]$ ll
    total 88K
    -rw-r--r-- 1 spectrum spectrum 24K Mar 22 11:36 AlertMap
    -rw-r--r-- 1 spectrum spectrum 26K Mar 7 11:30 AlertMap_old030717
    drwxrwsrwx 3 spectrum spectrum 16K Feb 15 13:38 CsEvFormat
    drwxrwsrwx 2 spectrum spectrum 4.0K Feb 15 13:35 CsPCause
    -rw-r--r-- 1 spectrum spectrum 15K Apr 24 16:53 EventDisp
    [spectrum@ncc340 Events]$

Rick 

• 8.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 03, 2017 04:19 PM

If these changes are not saved onto a SpectroSERVER system in the DSS that you intended the changes to be saved then that is a bug.

Joe

• 9.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 04, 2017 03:10 AM

I understand that Event Format and PCause files are not distributed to SpectroSERVER machine(s) by Event Configuration Tool.

So, the Event Format and PCause files are end up in OneClick Server machine only. Only EventDisp configuration is distributed across SpectroSERVER(s). This seems to be the design.

When you have run AlarmNotifier in one of the SpectroSERVER then you need to copy over manually the Event Format and PCause files to that SpectroSERVER to avoid “No Associated Text” issue in the notification email. When there is modification again to those Event Format and PCause files via Event Configuration Tool then you need to redo the sync up.

• 10.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 04, 2017 03:46 AM

Yes, this is how it works since always. We have a cron job that sync the files regularly from on OneClick servers to the SS servers.

• 11.  Re: Do I need to copy CsEvFormat files from UI to SS when using SANM?

Posted May 04, 2017 07:27 AM

Thanks for the confirmation. I'd say this is long overdue then to be corrected. I made idea Auto-Update CsEvFormat and CsPCause files for SANM for it. Please consider it.