Symantec Access Management

Expand all | Collapse all

TechTip: Getting 500 error when trying to post SOAP docs when Transfer-encoding is chunked after upgrading to Apache 2.4 and WSS 12.52SP1

• 1.  TechTip: Getting 500 error when trying to post SOAP docs when Transfer-encoding is chunked after upgrading to Apache 2.4 and WSS 12.52SP1

Posted May 04, 2017 05:30 AM

Issue

I'm protecting a Web Service using SOA Authentication Scheme, and I'm acceding it Apache CXF client.

But I noticed that instead of sending the request in normal format, Customer is sending the request in chunked format.

The HTTP headers show :

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

How can I fix this ?

Environment

Policy Server Version: R12.52 SP1 on Win2008 32-bit Policy Store Database: SQL server Web Server : Apache 2.4. Soa Agent: R12.52 SP1 and SiteMinder APACHE 2.4 WebAgent, Version 12.52 QMR01, Update HF-01, Label 640. on RH6 64-bit.

Cause

When a SOAP request is sent in "chunked" format (Transfer-Encoding: chunked), the request header won’t contain "Content-Length" Header. Instead, the Web Server will set the header "Transfer-Encoding".

In the Web Service Security Agent TxmPlugin code, we are not honoring "Transfer-Encoding" header.

Resolution

The Web Service Security Agent Code has been modified to honor the "Transfer-Encoding" header with value "chunked".

This is fixed in 12.52SP1CR05 and described in Cumulative Fix release note :

00178689     DE107313     The request header does not contain the Content-Length header when a SOAP request is sent in chunked format.

Defects Fixed in 12.52 SP1 CR05

KD : TEC1496968

• 2.  Re: TechTip: Getting 500 error when trying to post SOAP docs when Transfer-encoding is chunked after upgrading to Apache 2.4 and WSS 12.52SP1

• 3.  Re: TechTip: Getting 500 error when trying to post SOAP docs when Transfer-encoding is chunked after upgrading to Apache 2.4 and WSS 12.52SP1

Posted May 24, 2017 02:36 AM

If upgrade is not immediately possible, probably downgrading the HTTP to 1.0 for that specific URL would help workaround the problem.