Rally Software

• 1.  Supporting 100 COTS Applications

Posted May 09, 2017 03:46 PM

Hi folks.

One of our applications teams support ~100 Commercial off the Shelf (COTS) systems. Within a year they may have 80 upgrades and multiple interface changes, many of which are driven by outside forces. Traditional waterfall is not giving the teams and managers the visibility & value they need. 

I've been piloting Agile Central's community edition and I can see where team members creating their own tasks and Kanbans to visualize the work could be an unlock.

This is not a traditional Agile problem to solve - more DevOpsy. Is there anyone else leveraging Agile Central for COTS systems like this? If so, are you available to discuss?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Supporting 100 COTS Applications

Posted May 09, 2017 05:00 PM

Hey EricNash SeshVeeraraghavan1363555 galke06 thoughts on using Agile Central for DevOps purposes? 

• 3.  Re: Supporting 100 COTS Applications

Posted May 10, 2017 02:03 PM

Hey Robert_Ensinger, I'll follow with an email to get clarity on your question before attempting an answer.

• 4.  Re: Supporting 100 COTS Applications

Posted May 10, 2017 02:58 PM

This isn't specific to supporting COTS systems but we've used Agile Central very successfully for this sort of continuous flow work. We've moved all of our product development work to a scrum or scrumban style but we have lots of continuous flow (Kanban) teams happily collaborating with scrum teams. 

Basically we create work items in the backlog ad-hoc, continually prioritize them and then work them through a Kanban process. For those teams we focus on metrics like cycle time, lead time and flow efficiency since they don't have a timeboxed plan to work to. 

Not very specific I know, but frankly we found these methods quick and easy to adopt. I don't mind having a quick conversation but it sounds like you might be getting some attention more directly from the CA source. Feel free to reach out if you think that it will help.

-Eric

• 5.  Re: Supporting 100 COTS Applications

Posted May 10, 2017 03:24 PM

Basically we create work items in the backlog ad-hoc, continually prioritize them and then work them through a Kanban process. For those teams we focus on metrics like cycle time, lead time and flow efficiency since they don't have a timeboxed plan to work to. 

Thanks Eric. This is exactly what I think this group would be interested in seeing. Nothing immediate, but would you be open to a 30 minute webex discussion/demo if this leader is interested?

Don, I'll shoot you a note soon to circle back and definitely schedule a demo.

Thanks!

• 6.  Re: Supporting 100 COTS Applications

Posted May 11, 2017 07:31 AM

Hi Robert;

I'd be happy to help, just want to confirm whether your CA account team wants to coordinate or be involved so if you or JohnStreeter want to verify that then please feel free to drop me an email. Thanks.

-Eric