DX NetOps

• 1.  CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 09, 2017 03:28 PM

Hi,

We're using CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SP3, alias BOXI at our Spectrum 10.2 for our reports. We're noticing our SQLAnywhere database log files (BI4_Audit.log and BI4_CMS.log) are just getting "huge" in size.

What do you recommend us to do in order to reduce its size without losing any information?

Thanks!

Ricardo Nunez

• 2.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 09, 2017 04:30 PM

How big are they exactly?

I can imagine over time they would grow if you have been running it for a while.

• 3.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 09, 2017 04:40 PM

BI4_CMS.log is more than 15 GB long. BI4_Audit.log is less than 1 GB long. I don't know if this is because the windows group patches and restarts this server every other month.

• 4.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 10, 2017 07:54 AM

I would put this in the realm of “normal” if that system has been running for a long time.

Unfortunately the only way to clear that up is to clear out the database.

You could potentially log into the Instance Manager in the CMC and delete older instances – but its very manual.

However, that said, I would not be concerned with that being 15GB +1GB unless you are having issues.

• 5.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 10, 2017 09:22 AM

Hi Matthew,

May you give me an example of "log into the Instance Manager in the CMC and delete older instances"?

Regarding "the only way to clear that up is to clear out the database", I found out the following command: dbbackup -c "eng=BI4;dbn=BI4_CMS;uid=dba;pwd=*********" -xo. Do you think it's safe? I mean, could we lose data applying it?

Thanks!

Ricardo

• 6.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge
    Best Answer

Posted May 10, 2017 09:32 AM

Looking into that command that will truncate the transaction logs.

I wouldn’t think it would shrink the database itself, only the logs that SQL Anywhere uses.

I’d say it is fairly safe, as long as you don’t have a recent power outage or something where those transactions are required to rebuild

To get into Instance Manager:

Go to OC Webpage -> Administration -> Report Manager -> Business Objects Administration (CMC)

Once in, click on Instance Manager – should be on the right side I think.

If you can’t find it right away, the top left provides a drop down where it can be selected.

• 7.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 10, 2017 10:07 AM

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your help.

Regarding the CMC, I took a look at the instance manager. Question: If I don't see any "Pending" transaction for the last months, is it safe to get rid of the log files using the dbbackup command?

Thanks again,

Ricardo

• 8.  Re: CA Business Intelligence 4.1 SQLAnywhere log files are huge

Posted May 10, 2017 10:53 AM

You could.

But like I said that is only the transaction logs.  Those are not likely that large…they might be, but I would be surprised.

That said – running that command will not hurt anything while running.