Service Virtualization

• 1.  Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."

Posted May 09, 2017 03:49 PM

Hi All, 

Thanks for helping me out on the forums all the time. This time I have a web service using Devtest 9.1, it uses the Read Rows From a JDBC Table function under Data Sets to read from a MySQL database where I proceed to make a custom response. The service works fine for many individual transactions when deployed. 

However, when I tried to run a small load test, basically a couple hundred transactions per second. After maybe 5000 or so transactions the service stops and I see this error in the Inspection view:

Trapped Exception: The driver was unable to create a connection due to an inability to establish the client portion of a socket.  This is usually caused by a limit on the number of sockets imposed by the operating system. This limit is usually configurable. 

Does this feature use a connection pool? It doesn't give me a checkbox like the other SQL features (For example "SQL Database Execution"). Is this something that I have to adjust on the operating system? We are hosting the service and VSEs in a Windows Server 2012 environment. Is this something that is to be adjusted on the DevTest Side or maybe the MySQL side?

Thanks as always for the help!

• 2.  Re: Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 09, 2017 04:06 PM

Are you running this on Linux?  

If so what it your ulimit? 

You may need to increase the number of open file handlers for the system.

• 3.  Re: Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."

Posted May 10, 2017 09:43 AM

I am running this on Windows 2012 Server R2.

• 4.  Re: Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2017 09:52 AM

What JDBC Driver are you using to connect to MySQL?

• 5.  Re: Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."

Posted May 10, 2017 03:17 PM

We're using this driver class:      com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

• 6.  Re: Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 10, 2017 05:44 PM

I am not 100% sure, but this might be a configuration on your MySQL side, see the link below:

java - Connection Exception fetching large data from mysql - Stack Overflow 

• 7.  Re: Random Data Sets Error: .."inability to establish the client portion of a socket."

Posted May 11, 2017 03:29 PM

Thanks! It actually worked. We increased the connection pool on the MySQL side and it worked.