Clarity

• 1.  Any experience running MS Office/Project 2016 with PPM 14.2?

Posted May 09, 2017 04:10 PM

We are currently running MS Office/Project 2010 with PPM 14.2 but are looking to upgrade to MS Office/Project 2016. I am aware that MS2016 is not officially supported with PPM 14.2 but am hoping someone has experience with this combination and could provide soem feedback. Main areas of concern are export to Excel (data only), and  MSP Interface (new driver).

• 2.  Re: Any experience running MS Office/Project 2016 with PPM 14.2?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 25, 2017 02:33 PM

CA PPM 14.2 does not support MS Office/Project 2016. Support for that version is added in CA PPM 14.4.

That being said, the MS Office applications (Excel & PowerPoint) 2016 may work with CA PPM 14.2 but have not been tested and are not supported.

I doubt MS Project 2016 will work completely with CA PPM 14.2 since the integration between the applications is tighter and more version dependent. I have not tried it myself.

• 3.  Re: Any experience running MS Office/Project 2016 with PPM 14.2?

Posted May 26, 2017 02:42 PM

As far as Office goes correct me if I am wrong it is just exporting data and writing the Excel or PP file.

My experience is that different Office versions can read the same file formats created in CA PPM Export and even older Office versions can read them with the Office viewers.

As far as MS Project is concerned it is two data transfer and it it very picky for the versions and service packs at both ends and in some cases require additional components. Many threads have pointed out that only the supported version (may) work together.

See eg
    CA PPM NY/NJ Quarterly Web Share - Should your company use the MS Project Connector with CA PPM? – May 12th 11:00AM ET 

and the attachements

• 4.  Re: Any experience running MS Office/Project 2016 with PPM 14.2?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 06, 2017 11:17 AM

We have been using OFFICE 2016 with 14.2 for a long time without any issues, BUT we stayed on MSP 2010

I started testing MSP 2016 with 14.3, 14.4 and up to 15.1. You need the new connector installed, but we had so many issues with it, we could never migrate it to it. Keep in mind we have a business group with unique operations. If you just do standard schedules and use Fixed units for example, you might be fine.

The trick is that if you use Office 365 then Microsoft may tell you that you cannot use 2010 with Office 2016. We did (do) but had to somewhat override the system to allow users to download 2010 if they use Clarity.

Given the new connector has code in place specifically for MSP, I would not recommend using it if it is not supported. Keep in mind Microsoft pushes out updates and if your company pushes updates out automatically, then you will run into issues. It wasn't until later where CA's code started keeping up with MSP updates.

...Hope that made sense