ESP Workload Automation

• 1.  this should be an easy one for this group,  I am lost without my old ESP cookbook.  how do I schedule a job to auto retry 3 times when it gets a specific condition code?

Posted May 10, 2017 12:23 PM

we have a job that fails to connect to a remote host once in a while, restarting the job manually works every time. I would like esp to retry the job three times before it fails after a 5 minute sleep.

• 2.  Re: this should be an easy one for this group,  I am lost without my old ESP cookbook.  how do I schedule a job to auto retry 3 times when it gets a specific condition code?
    Best Answer

Posted May 10, 2017 12:51 PM

• 3.  Re: this should be an easy one for this group,  I am lost without my old ESP cookbook.  how do I schedule a job to auto retry 3 times when it gets a specific condition code?

Posted May 10, 2017 01:07 PM

Great thank you very helpful.

• 4.  Re: this should be an easy one for this group,  I am lost without my old ESP cookbook.  how do I schedule a job to auto retry 3 times when it gets a specific condition code?

Posted May 10, 2017 12:52 PM

Objective

If a particular job fails, it should be resubmitted from the top after a 5-minute delay.

Solution

Take the following steps:

1. When you define the job, use a NOTIFY statement that identifies the Alert to be triggered if the job fails. For example:

JOB A

NOTIFY FAILURE ALERT(BAD)

RUN ANYDAY

ENDJOB

2. Define the Alert using the ALERTDEF command or initialization parameter. For example:

OPER ALERTDEF ADD ID(BAD) EVENT(CYBER.RESUB_JOB)

3. Set up the Alert Procedure and Event. The Alert Event invokes the following Procedure:

IF ESPREEXEC#=0 THEN DO

SEND '%MNJOB HAS FAILED WITH %MNCMPC' U(*)

SEND 'AUTOMATIC RESUBMISSION IN 5 MINUTES' U(*)

REEXEC IN(5)

ENDDO

ELSE ESP AJ %MNJOB RESUB APPL(%MNAPPL..%MNAPPLGEN)

Explanation

When the Alert Procedure is invoked, the ESPREEXEC# variable is 0. Two SEND messages are sent to the user. The Procedure is then scheduled to re-execute 5 minutes later. At that time, ESPREEXEC# is 1, and an AJ command resubmits the failed job. Monitor variables are used to ensure the job is resubmitted in the correct generation (MNAPPLGEN) of the correct Application (MNAPPL).

Variation

Another approach is to have the Alert Procedure build a one-job Application that contains a link with a DELAYSUB time of NOW PLUS 5 MINUTES. The link can issue the ESP AJ command to resubmit the failed job when the DELAYSUB time is met.

• 5.  Re: this should be an easy one for this group,  I am lost without my old ESP cookbook.  how do I schedule a job to auto retry 3 times when it gets a specific condition code?

Posted May 10, 2017 12:55 PM

Rick beat me by 30 seconds, but I noticed that my example is also out in DocOps:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/11-4/en/examples-cookbook/resubmit-job-5-minutes-after-it-fails

And, for the record, I would feel remiss if I didn't include a link to the main Cookbook page:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-workload-automation-esp-edition/11-4/en/examples-cookbook

• 6.  Re: this should be an easy one for this group,  I am lost without my old ESP cookbook.  how do I schedule a job to auto retry 3 times when it gets a specific condition code?

Posted May 10, 2017 01:07 PM

Great thank you this is very helpful.  I looked and look and could not find the cookbook page.