Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

• 1.  Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Posted May 11, 2017 04:39 AM

Hi, 

I wanted to know if it's possible to specify parameters/variable of type "path" in custom resolution path of a service ? 

like "/api/user/{userid}" 

Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2017 11:30 AM

Good Afternoon,

The value of {userid} when entered in the custom URI path will not be treated as a variable but as the text that is entered. If you want to have all userids picked up for the URI you would wildcard this to /api/user/*.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 3.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Posted May 11, 2017 11:41 AM

Thank you Stephen, 

So there is no way to specify such a variable in the path ? I put { } as example, i don't know if it's feasible.

Thank you.

• 4.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 11, 2017 12:20 PM

If you are looking to use the value after the /api/user/ then I would recommend using the * at the end then in the policy use a regular expression to pull the value from the context variable ${request.http.uri} with the expression "/api/user/(.*)". Please let me know if this will work or if I'm missing something of what you are trying to do with the {userid} variable.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 5.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Posted May 12, 2017 02:44 AM

In fact, my idea is to put several variables in that path, like it's supported in a swagger specification of a service/api

We could have, for example, in addition of user id : 

/api/user/{userId}/order/{orderId}

And, for example, another service that will be a slightly different path, but forward to a different backend (so we can't use the wildcard)

/api/user/{userId}/invoice/{invoiceId}

Thank You.

• 6.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2017 12:49 PM

There are several ways that you can accomplish this either in policy workflow or by using multiple wildcards. The policy workflow can use the Publish Swagger Service Wizard (https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-gateway/9-2/en/services-and-policies/tasks-manage-menu-publish-services-and-apis/publish-swagger-service-wizard) along with logic making different decisions based on aspects of the URI. The multiple wildcards could be that you establish a baseline for all items going to /api/user/* then add in additional ones /api/user/*/order/* and /api/user/*/invoice/*.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 7.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Posted Jun 23, 2017 09:46 AM

Thank you Stephen.

This is clearly a way to do it, but it is rather difficult to protect backend this way from incorrectly built requests.

Thanks anyway for your answer

• 8.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Posted Mar 18, 2019 11:34 AM

Hi, using a custom resolution path like: /api/user/*/order/*  does not work... only works if then you use an actual "*" in the URL, but not using something like

/api/user/4124/order/222

Can this really be achieved?

• 9.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2017 06:29 PM

Good afternoon,

Did my last response help you?

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 10.  Re: Specify "path" parameter in custom resolution path

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2019 01:35 PM
      |   view attached

Hi Emmanuel,

You can specify wildcards within your path and have it resolve to the correct service. There are a few things that need to be implemented:

1. FastResolveService Assertion - Normally, we collect all the services and match an API to the most “greedy” service. When using the FastResolveService Assertion, we don’t follow a “greedy” approach and try to match the API to the best service.

2. Regular Expressions - This will assist in making that best match.

3. Message-Received Policy - You'll need to use the message-received policy for the services to resolve properly. 

I can provide you with a working use case for testing but you will need to open a Support ticket so I can provide you with the FastResolveService assertion. If you have any other questions or it's not working as expected, I'll be happy to assist you.

*~Jameela~*

Attachment(s)