AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  Maximum Generation Number

Posted May 11, 2017 03:26 PM

I read in the troubleshooting guide that when the number of Application generation reaches a "maximum" value, the server stops triggering the application and send a warning.

Does anyone know that the "maximum" value is?  Can't seem to find it documented anywhere, and want to take proactive action.

We are currently running 12.0.0.0 of CA WA DE.

• 2.  Re: Maximum Generation Number

Posted May 13, 2017 10:16 PM

Hi Keith,

If you are still looking for this info, it's HERE.

Configure the Maximum Number of Active Application Generations

By default, the server sends email and SNMP notifications when the number of active Application generations reaches 500. When the number of active Application generations reaches 600, the server shuts down. However, if you want to increase or decrease the maximum number of active Application generations the server can monitor, you can change the default behavior.

Follow these steps:

1. Stop the server.
    2. Do one of the following tasks:
      • On Windows, open the following file in a text editor:

install_dir\conf\server.properties

• On UNIX, open the following file in a text editor:

install_dir/conf/server.properties

• install_dir
        Specifies the directory where the server is installed.
    3. Add the following properties to the file:

active.appl.gen.notify=warnthreshold

active.appl.gen.stop=shutdownthreshold

• warnthreshold
        Specifies the warning threshold for the monitoring of active Application generations. When the number of active Application generations reaches this value, the server sends email and SNMP notifications.
        Default: 500
      • shutdownthreshold
        Specifies the shutdown threshold for the monitoring of active Application generations. When the number of active Application generations reaches this value, the server shuts down.
        Default: 600
    4. Save and close the file.
    5. Restart the server.
      The server starts running. If the number of active Application generations reaches the warning threshold, the server sends notifications. If the number of active Application generations reaches the shutdown threshold, the server shuts down.
    Important! If the server shuts down after reaching the shutdown threshold, you must increase the value of active.appl.gen.stop before restarting the server. Otherwise, the server will shut down immediately when you try to restart it.
    Thank you,
    Chandru
    CA Technologies

• 3.  Re: Maximum Generation Number

Posted May 15, 2017 10:09 AM

Thanks, but I'm not looking for the maximum number of active generations.  I'm looking for the maximum number that is supported for a generation number.  The troubleshooting guide indicates that, if this maximum number reached, we need to run the RESETGEN CLI in order to reset the number back to 0.

I'm trying to find out what that number is that we can take action prior to encountering issues.

• 4.  Re: Maximum Generation Number
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2017 10:46 AM

The application generation number field allows maximum of 10 numeric characters. As per the guide, reset the  application generation number to zero periodically;

"To avoid this issue, we recommend that you issue the RESETGEN CLI command and reset the application’s generation number periodically."

• 5.  Re: Maximum Generation Number

Posted Jan 14, 2019 01:48 PM

I'm surprised that the recommended course of action is to reset the generation number.  That seems unwise.  The generation number is one of the primary keys when reporting out of the WA repository.   Plus, how does this affect searching for jobs within the WA monitor?  If a generation number overlaps with a previous execution how does the system resolve that?  Plus, why would there even be a maximum generation number?  Why would the system shutdown when it's reached?  That's like saying, "Note, on day thirty your software will no longer work.  Push this button to make it work again."  The logic behind this escapes me.