Layer7 API Management

Expand all | Collapse all

To Create a group for organisations.

• 1.  To Create a group for organisations.

Posted May 12, 2017 07:52 AM

Hi

Is there a way to create a group for the organizations?

I have over 250 organizations and need to assign the same API to every organization. it is such a pain to add it to each one. looking for a simple solution so I could create some groups and can assign the API in one shot.

Thanks in advance.

Kishore.

• 2.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2017 10:38 PM

Kishore,

From your description you may be looking to use API Groups (https://docops.ca.com/ca-api-developer-portal/3-5/en/manage-the-api-portal/manage-apis/api-groups) .

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 3.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted May 13, 2017 12:08 AM

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your reply.

I am not looking for API group, as explained in my question; the task is to assign one API to many organizations. This will be a repetitive process for us as we get new APIs now and then.

Maybe as you said we could use API group and assign the same to all organizations for the first time and then add the new API to the group. this is also ok for us, but adding a new API to the API group which is being used by one or many organizations is not possible. adding a new API to the group is possible only when we remove the group from all the organizations and add the API to the group and then again add the group to the organization. Following this process, we may miss adding the API group to the some organizations.

So we are looking for a solution which will be short and less time consuming.

Regards

Kishore

• 4.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 15, 2017 06:27 PM

Kishore,

I've asked out product management team from the API Portal to comment on possible solutions both current and future.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support

• 5.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted May 19, 2017 02:02 AM

Hi Kishore,

In Portal V4.1 which will be available shortly we have added the functionality that allows an API to be directly associated with, and restricted to, a developer organization. This functionality will make API available to all members of that organization.

Next enhancement for this functionality is allowing an API to be associated with more that one organization.

However, currently APIs can be added to account plans that control which APIs, an organization’s developers and applications can access.

Hope this helps,

Leila Sahebjamee | Sr. Product Owner | CA Technologies

• 6.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted May 19, 2017 02:21 AM

Hi Leila

Its good to know that there is an update coming up. But the reply you gave does not tell that we could create a group for different organizations.

The API availability to all the members of that organization is already available in the current version. Correct me if I am wrong.

Please give me more clarification if the group can be created for organizations and an API can be assigned to the group and this will allow all the members in the organization group to access this API.

Thank you

Kishore

• 7.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted Jun 19, 2017 05:57 PM

Hi Kishore, 

I should let you know that API group feature is in our backlog and its in the queue to be developed. However, here is a use case that can be covered with this new feature we have released.

Note: SSO is enabled

Portal Admins, can create a default organization (i.e: Global organization) and assign it to those APIs (instead of adding them to all of those 250 organizations) and make sure all users/developers who need to have access to these APIs are member of that organization. When any of users/developers login to the portal by default they should be able to consume those APIs.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you need more clarifications or a live demo of this feature.

Thanks,

Leila

• 8.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted Jun 20, 2017 05:17 AM

Hi Leila

The use case you have commented will not fulfil the approach or ours, as we have to strictly maintain the organizations.

can you let me know if there is an alternative until you develop this?

And one more thing I want to know is, the pros and cons of the Developer Portal V4.0.

If possible can you share a table with differences of V3.5 CR4 and V4.0

Thank you

Kishore

• 9.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted Jul 04, 2017 06:28 PM

Hi Kishore,

Are you using Portal V3.5 (classic)?

Also can you please provide more information about your organizations? Are they all internal or external organizations? Who are the users of these organizations and what type of rights do they have for these organizations?

What about the APIs you want to be shared between these Orgs? Are they public or private APIs?

If I understand correctly you are asking for Organizations group instead of API group, can you please confirm?

Thanks,
    Leila

• 10.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted Jul 12, 2017 07:11 AM

Hi Leila

I believe we are using V3.5 classic with CR4 patch installed.

the organizations are external, they have their own users created.

we assign both public and private APIs with those organizations.

yes, I am asking about the group for Organizations.

can you be able to help us creating a Organizations where we can assign the API to group.

since this thread is open we had to work on assigning at least 6 APIs to all those organizations individually which took at least 3 shifts of the resource.

Thank you

Kishore

• 11.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted Aug 30, 2017 01:46 PM

Hi Kishore, my apologies for the late reply, I wanted to let you know that we are developing a solution that is very similar to API Group feature in Classic Portal and will allow you to create a group for APIs and add the group to an application that is used by organizations. 

Having said that we definitely would like to improve this feature based on customers feedback. So can you please let me know what other use cases you might need this feature for?

Also in your original uses case would it be possible for the APIs to be grouped have different EULAs? or those APIs all shared a common EULA?

In case of different EULAs for the groups APIs what is your expectation for EULA acceptance?

Thank you,

Leila

• 12.  Re: To Create a group for organisations.

Posted Sep 01, 2017 05:36 AM

Dear Leila

The solution of API group you are talking about, we have applied the patch V3.5 CR5 and able to use the functionality. we are now able to edit the API group (add new API to the exisiting group with same EULA but no remove option).

It is not possible to add the API with a different EULA when the group is enabled and assigned to some applications.

This functionality has reduced our work load at least 50%, looking forward to have a group for organizations or applications where in one go we can assign an API or API group to all the applications or organizations in that group. (For this, whenever we try to add a new application, along with the name field, if we can have a application group field. this will straight away add the application to group while creating the application itself.)

With EULAs we now have only one EULA set up. so I do not have an expectation regarding this.

Hope you guys come up with a solution for this use case for application groups.

Thank you

Kishore