DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

• 1.  e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 12, 2017 02:09 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to create an e2e-appmon script that will check if any emails in an outlook email-box that were older than 5 minutes.  If so then generate an alarm.  I'm having difficulty figuring out how to retrieve "Received Time" of an email as data into the script so I can compare if it is 5 minutes old.  Does anyone have any idea how this can be done? 

Thanks,

Biing

• 2.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 12, 2017 03:31 PM

Hello,

I have accidentally clicked "assumed answered", can someone please undo this?

Thanks,

Biing

• 3.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 12, 2017 03:33 PM

Hi sue.macaluso

Need your help on this thread. Can you "un-mark" this thread "assumed answered", please? Biing accidentally clicked "assumed answer"

Thanks

Manish

• 4.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 12, 2017 04:42 PM
    If it's even possible you would need to open the email and then pull the time from the source I think. 

• 5.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 12, 2017 04:47 PM

Bryan,

what do you mean when you say "pull the time from the source"? I am very new to UIM so learning as I go along. We had a resource who managed UIM Synthetic Monitoring but has now left for another opportunity so we did the best we could get transfer the knowledge but you know it's not the same

Thanks
    Manish

• 6.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 12, 2017 04:48 PM

Like a View Source on a webpage, I am assuming the email client has something similar. 

• 7.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 12, 2017 04:56 PM

Is there a reason why you're using e2eappmon instead of something like email_response ( email_response (Email Response Monitoring) - CA Unified Infrastructure Management Probes - CA Technologies Documentation )? 

• 8.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 15, 2017 02:18 PM

ketro01

So, what we are trying to accomplish is this:

1 - UIM Probe/Robot to check the inbox every 15 minutes;

2 - sort the view to show oldest on top,

3 - check the timestamp of the top email,

4 - send a notice if the timestamp is older than 5 minutes

So, UIM itself is not generating any emails.

From the link you sent, and what I understand, I think the "email_response" probe actually will generate an email and send it. Am I understanding the capabilities of this probe incorrectly?

Manish

• 9.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 15, 2017 03:01 PM

Your understanding of the email_response probe is correct.  If the need is understood, the requirement is to generate an alarm if any message has been sitting in this mailbox more than five minutes. How to accomplish that is unfortunately beyond me.

• 10.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 15, 2017 04:27 PM

Anyone else out there have any clue?

sue.macaluso - were you able to unmark/undo this post from "assumed answered"?. 

• 11.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 15, 2017 04:49 PM

I was able to mark it correct and then unmark it correct and now it is an open question and no longer assumed answered. ManishParikh

• 12.  Re: e2e-appmon-retrieve-time-from-an-email

Posted May 15, 2017 04:53 PM

Thanks a lot sue.macaluso, greatly appreciate your prompt response.