DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  CA APM for Monitoring CA Layer 7 Gateway and Published Rest Services

Posted May 18, 2017 04:56 AM

StephaneMOLDOCH4453211 Mohindra.Singh #layer7gateway #APM

Hi,

Can We use CA Application Performance Monitoring tool (APM) to Monitor CA Layer 7 API Gateway and the Rest services hosted on the Gateway ?

Regards,

Neha

• 2.  Re: CA APM for Monitoring CA Layer 7 Gateway and Published Rest Services

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2017 06:05 AM

Hi Neha,

I have discussed with layer7 team this is what I came to know. 

we do not recommend to use it, As we have come across scenarios that there are no erroneous behavior during APM installation on gateway or initial stages of APM usage. But after some time, APIM gateway encounters unknown errors due to this tool.

Regards
    Sri

• 3.  Re: CA APM for Monitoring CA Layer 7 Gateway and Published Rest Services
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 18, 2017 06:26 AM

I think the part to add to Sri's response is that there was collaboration between CA APM and CA API-M (formerly Layer 7) engineering teams and we did not find a suitable monitoring option where the APM Java Agent is running directly in the gateway.

Having said this, a specific monitoring option called CA Precision API Monitoring has been developed that relies on the gateway publishing statistics about policies and performance of Gateway to an APM EPAgent that reports the data to APM.

This includes transaction trace visibility in the latest release.

There is some further discussion of that monitoring option here:

Precision API Monitoring v3.1, from CA Technologies 

• 4.  Re: CA APM for Monitoring CA Layer 7 Gateway and Published Rest Services

Posted May 18, 2017 08:15 AM

thank you Sri_Guntupalli and DavidLewis for the response.