Release Automation

• 1.  Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Posted May 22, 2017 10:04 AM

Hi,

how can I remove a deployment step during the preplan?

I can create one, but the "ROC - Delete Step" doesn't seem to work in the preplan.

thanks,

Michael

• 2.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2017 01:50 AM

Hi Michael,

I tried your scenario on my box (RA 6.2). It works fine. Are there any differences from your environment?

1. Create a action using "ROC - Delete Step". I configured to delete "step1".
    2. Create processes and published them.
    3. Create deployment plan. Set the action as PrePlan.
    4. Set 2 steps in deployment phase. Here is step1 and step2.
    5. Run the deployment. It seems "step1" was deleted from deployment phase.

If you have any errors, please check nolio_action_exe.log on target agent.

I hope my info helps you.

Thanks

Yas

• 3.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Posted May 23, 2017 02:01 AM

Hi Yas,

you did run the deletion in the "pre-deployment", not in the pre-plan phase.

At least it does say so in your screenshot of (3). You just named your step "PrePlan" but your execution is in "Pre-Deployment Step"

best regards

Michael

• 4.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 23, 2017 03:07 AM

Hi Michael,

You are right. I did the action in Pre-Deployment instead of Pre-Plan. I think the action is supported in deployment phase.

2017-05-23 15:59:34,394 [job-294939-jobServer-294939-6:ROC - Delete Step(P224.F892.E893):ROC - Delete Step] ERROR (com.nolio.platform.shared.datamodel.Action:61) - Exception caught.
    com.nolio.platform.shared.util.exceptions.ResultFriendlyException: This action may be executed solely from within a deployment step.

Thanks

Yas

• 5.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Posted May 23, 2017 03:09 AM

Hi Yas,

I know, that is why I asked how I can achieve the deletion of a step in the preplan

thanks,

Michael

• 6.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Posted May 23, 2017 09:49 AM

Out of curiosity I am wondering what the motivation is for removing steps in pre-plan?  In any case where I have wanted to remove steps, I have found pre-deploy sufficient.  

• 7.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?

Posted May 24, 2017 01:36 AM

Hi Timothy,

my template consists of several steps, I have some pre/post steps + the deployment of the actual modules/application.

In the current project, it's required to have a more flexible template based on the artifacts for the modules. so the project can deliver n artifacts, but in total only the ones where I created the steps for in the template (so template = full deployment set, but a deployment plan doesn't require the full set).

During the preplan I would just check if the artifact/zip file for the deployment step exists and if not, I would remove the step.

I know I can do it the other way around and build the plan/deployment steps based on the fact if the artifact exists or not, but this again would require for me to also implement the creation of all the other deployment steps, that are just pre/post steps plus I would need to handle the dependencies.

I would like to have it in the preplan, because this is where I handle the environment independent artifacts.

best regards

michael

• 8.  Re: Delete Deployment Step during Pre Plan execution?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2017 05:05 AM

Hi Michael ,

At the moment this does not seems to be possible , i would suggest to raise a idea for it .

So product management can consider this for a future release .

Regards

Dirk