Release Automation

• 1.  Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')

Posted May 22, 2017 06:07 PM
      |   view attached

Action Type: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration")

We observed that some servers reacts very slow to below command line action. sometimes took more than 20 minutes to output for below query.

CMD: { wmic product where "name like '%QFramework%'" get version }

Since the Automated process don't have to wait until this action finish, we have implemented time out duration for the action type 'Run Command Line' (please refer the attachment). Although we have set timeout duration the action keeps on running for infinite time. Ideally specking the action should fail after time out duration so that we can manfully pass\resume it and let the automation progress to next flow. 

Please suggest since the action is not failing after time out duration.

• 2.  Re: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2017 05:46 AM

Hi

I did do a quick test and i got the following result . What RA version are you using and on which OS.

-

Description:

Run Command Line action has failed.
    Return value: 143
    Std out:
    Std err:
    Command line executed: /bin/sh -c sleep 120
    Run Command Line action has failed. Execution stopped due to timeout duration (10 seconds)

Regards

Dirk

• 3.  Re: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')

Posted May 24, 2017 10:46 AM

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for the response. we are using CA RA "Version: 6.3.0.9622". OS: WINDOWS.

we are especially interested in below command.

WMIC product where "name like '%QFramework%'" get version

We observed that some of our windows servers reacts very slow to above command. Sometimes took more than 20 minutes to output for above command.

Since the Automated process don't have to wait until this action finish, we have implemented time out duration for the action type 'Run Command Line' (Please refer the attached image of our action). Although we have set timeout duration the action keeps on running for infinite time. Ideally specking the action should fail after time out duration so that we can manfully pass\resume it and let the automation progress to next flow. 

Please suggest since the action is not failing after time out duration.

Thanks,

Nikhil

• 4.  Re: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 24, 2017 10:03 PM

Hi,

My understanding is "Time Out Duration" doesn't mean to abort the action.

The value is used to check if the action takes too long time to complete despite the command returns. So, we need to wait to complete the process. 

For example,  (on Windows)

• Time Out Duration: 30
    • Command Line String: notepad.exe

If notepad.exe process is killed within 30 seconds, the result is succeeded.

If notepad.exe process is killed after 30 seconds or more, the result is failed.

In both case, the action is running till killing notepad.exe manually.

I'm not sure that QFramework (you mentioned) uses Windows registry, but if so, you can "reg export <key name> <file name>" instead of wmic command. I expect it is better response.

Thanks

Yas

• 5.  Re: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')

Posted May 24, 2017 11:58 AM

We have seen issues where the Run Command line action does not automatically fail after the timeout duration passes as well. Especially when calling scripts that may be hung on a nested process. 

• 6.  Re: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 01, 2017 07:54 AM

Hi

I tested this with your command and this was the result .

Description:

Run Command Line action has failed.
    Return value: 1
    Std out:
    Std err: No Instance(s) Available.
    Command line executed: cmd /c "WMIC product where "name like '%QFramework%'" get version"
    Run Command Line action has failed. Execution stopped due to timeout duration (10 seconds)

So the command action should fail , if this does not occur on your installation , i would suggest to raise a support case

so we can investigate the logs .

The agent version or java version could play a role in this .

Regards

Dirk

• 7.  Re: Run Command Line (Property 'Time Out Duration')

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2017 09:00 AM

Hi
    I believe your questions has been answered, I will mark this as the correct answer.
    When your question is not answered or you still have additional questions please let us know.
    With Kind Regards

Dirk