DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Average Result Processing Time Slow While Average Response Time is Reasonable

Posted May 25, 2017 09:34 AM

I have been working on trying to isolate a specific use case that was very slow from the end user perspective.  I tried traces, but none of them seem to indicate an issue.  Average Response Time metrics were reasonable and no stalls, but the end user experience is a challenge (200 to 400 or more response time).  After deploying AXA, we noticed that the source was for a specific URL, and this URL was driven primarily by a specific stored procedure.  Then going back into Investigator - noticed another metric that I had not realized before - Average Result Processing Time (ms).  This metric is not mentioned in the mainline wiki for APM, but there are a few references in the APM Community (such as Kulbir's DOC-231167765).  Why would I have long running transactions with an excessive 'Average Result Processing Time (ms)'  that does not show up as a component of the transaction trace?  It certainly is impacting the overall transaction...  Help set me straight!

• 2.  Re: Average Result Processing Time Slow While Average Response Time is Reasonable

Posted May 25, 2017 10:06 AM

The end user wait time I mentioned was 200 to 400 seconds or more.  I failed to specify the units in the original post.

• 3.  Re: Average Result Processing Time Slow While Average Response Time is Reasonable
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 25, 2017 10:45 PM

Hi Todd,

"Average Result Processing Time" is specific to the Java Agent SQL tracer/SQLAgent which explains why you are seeing it for a stored procedure call.

You should get 1 hit on the wiki search but maybe it do not work for you

Configure SQL Monitoring for Java - CA Application Performance Management - 10.5 - CA Technologies Documentation 

Here are also some KBs on the topic:

SQL Agent Average Response Time vs. Average Result Processing Time. 

Average Result Processing Time metrics are not showing up in the Investigator. 

For the missing SQL stored procedure call in Transaction Trace one possibility I can think of:

Do you have agent profile property introscope.agent.sqlagent.sql.turnofftrace set to default false or has it been set to true which would disable the TT?

Hope that helps.

Lynn

• 4.  Re: Average Result Processing Time Slow While Average Response Time is Reasonable

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2017 11:04 AM

Thanks Lynn. I see no additional responses from Todd. So marking as answered. Additional questions may be asked as needed. 

• 5.  Re: Average Result Processing Time Slow While Average Response Time is Reasonable

Posted May 26, 2017 11:17 AM

I thought I responded via the email reply... anyway....

Lynn,

Thanks for the links and the suggestions.  I’ll review when I get back on the grid the 2nd week of June.  As far as the current agent goes, it is .NET 10.5.1.8 (Build 990101) – reporting to APM 10.5.1 standalone EM.  As far as the sql agent configurations in the IntroscopeAgent.profile goes – it is all out of the box with the following properties commented out:

#introscope.agent.sqlagent.sql.turnoffmetrics=false

#introscope.agent.sqlagent.sql.artonly=false

#introscope.agent.sqlagent.sql.turnofftrace=false

#introscope.agent.sqlagent.sql.rawsql=false 

Todd