Clarity

• 1.  How do you restrict the number of hours a resource can be allocated?

Posted May 25, 2017 12:02 PM

We set resource availability to 8 hours per day.  We use project allocations to forecast work but resource managers can and do allocate resources more than 8 hours per day causing "overallocations" to occur.  Is there a way to prevent resources from being allocated more than 8 hours per day?  We are on V14.2 and will be upgrading to V15.2 in June. 

• 2.  Re: How do you restrict the number of hours a resource can be allocated?

Posted May 25, 2017 12:40 PM

Please vote:

Being able to avoid overallocating a resource in a project

https://communities.ca.com/ideas/102989435 

NJ

• 3.  Re: How do you restrict the number of hours a resource can be allocated?

Posted May 26, 2017 04:58 AM

Hi RandiParker81980938

There is no such feature to stop others from doing that if they are already having the resource manager access rights. The idea that was referred by NJ is to restrict the users from getting over allocated. But I am not sure if that will stop someone from increasing the Resource Availability from 8 hours.In that case, you raise a new Idea.

Thanks,

Abhisek Dhar

• 4.  Re: How do you restrict the number of hours a resource can be allocated?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 26, 2017 02:10 PM

I believe you may be missing the point of the ability to overallocate a resource. By allowing the overallocation, you are then able to compare allocations across resources within a team/pool/role and then resolve the over/underallocations to balance the workload. This may result in continued overallocation, which provides resource managers the data needed to make decisions about which work happens when and/or the addition of more resources to the team.

This is even easier to see and resolve in CA PPM 15.2 in the new user interface for Resource Management. You can see some of this in my blog post on the topic: https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-ppm/blog/2017/03/10/ppm-insights-first-look-at-ca-ppm-152-s-resource-management.

If you would like a more in depth demo of the functionality, please contact your account team.